Ford 881 starts up, abruptly dies...

/ Ford 881 starts up, abruptly dies... #1  

sleuth

Silver Member
Tractor
between tractors
I recently replaced the fuel shutoff valve on my Ford 881. Tractor was running good before, but I noticed the valve was leaking so I replaced it and the leak is stopped.

However, after running ok for a for a couple days after that, my tractor is starting up fine, but abruptly dies anywhere for 5 seconds to 30 seconds after start-up. I've checked my fuel line for rust, and I have good flow of fuel all the way down to the sediment bowl for sure. I did add an inline fuel filter a couple years ago but again, I've got good flow all the way from the tank to the sediment bowl, so that makes me think it's not a fuel issue.

If that's true, then the other culprits would have to be either air or spark, right? Could it be time for new spark plugs?

I'm still a beginner with these old tractors, so you'll probably have to spell it out for me and pics really help. LOL.
29214100_10157159609659409_3784944224567296000_n.jpg

/ Ford 881 starts up, abruptly dies... #2  
2 things come to my mind. How long did you let the fuel run when you checked for fuel flow. I have seen situations where fuel runs fine for 5-10 seconds and then almost stops flow. As the fuel flows, it disturbs the sediment in the filter and plugs itself. I'd let it run for at least 30 seconds and look for any slowing or stopping of flow. Water in a good fuel filter can do the same thing. So if that checks out, the next thing I'd do is check for spark immediately after it quits. If no spark, clean point contacts with a business card sliding it between contacts. Don't file them. Check the condenser connections. Some Ford automotive distributors have a ground wire from the housing to the plate that the points bolt to. The plate moves, from the vacuum advance, and this wire can break. I have seen intermittent spark problems from all of these conditions. Good luck and keep TBN posted on your progress!