Ford 881-D engine rebuild?

/ Ford 881-D engine rebuild?
Pto not working is likely a cable or sos issue...

I also doubt the rust will prevent you from pulling the head..

soundguy

Couldn't the PTO also be a clutch issue (or maybe that's what you meant by SOS issue)? Back when it first stopped working (for months) we had one particularly warm weekend after which it started working again briefly for like 2 days. Then, nothing. Seemed to indicate that either there was a warm clutch plate or possibly a simple adjustment. Since I've begun digging back into tractor I've come up with a few ideas about what to check next. I have checked the SOS and PTO cables down into the cams and their fine, but of course they could be damaged towards the backend near the clutch. Unfortunately, these aren't easy things to diagnose without cracking her in half.
The Head is free and I've removed the valves. Pistons 1 and 4 are also free in the block, but hard to remove due to rust/corrosion at the tops of the cyls. Going wire brush, scraper next. Still working on freeing 2 + 4 - just hard to find the time to work on her with a 2 year old running amok in my workshop :).
Thanks,
Pete

/ Ford 881-D engine rebuild? #12  
Remember.. these are wet clutch packs.. so yes.. when i say sos problems.. it can mean anything like a pressure leak keeping the independent clutch pack from engaging.. to worn out media.. etc.. etc.. valve problem.. etc..

soundguy