Ford 740 no longer charges battery.

/ Ford 740 no longer charges battery. #1  

ultrarunner

Epic Contributor
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
Unknown to me my restored 1957 Ford 700 series was moved to do some barn storm damage repair work.

An attempt to start it was made with jumper cables and failed so it was towed.

The tractor is original 6 volt positive to frame and was jumped with 12 volt negative to frame… ouch!

I have since started the tractor to load it on my trailer but no charging registers at any engine speed… :-(

No time yet to investigate further.

6 volt battery, 6 volt generator and 6 volt regulator…

Starter works fine.

Attachments

• 1160D3D5-C431-48C8-991F-EE72B9A94F21.jpeg
    1160D3D5-C431-48C8-991F-EE72B9A94F21.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 40
   / Ford 740 no longer charges battery. #2  
To start, make sure your battery is charged, then the generator needs to be polarized as the jump probably polarized it to negative ground.

If it still won't charge , you probably will need a regulator as it may be fried.

/ Ford 740 no longer charges battery.
Thank You

Regulator crossed my mind…

Farm had a wind event that damaged a section of the pole barn roof… no damage to tractors and buggy… they were just in the way…

Now in the big 1850 barn but in a week covered in fine dust… probably a layer of gravel would keep the dust at bay…

No shortage of small projects to tend…

/ Ford 740 no longer charges battery. #4  
It's been a long time but I seem to remember a procedure for flashing the regulator to start it working when you install a new one. I don't remember how I used to do it but if you're lucky that may be the only problem.

/ Ford 740 no longer charges battery. #5  
To polarize jumper the field terminal to the Batt terminal, you can also jumper from the Field to the actual battery while the engine is off and you'll get a good solid polarization

/ Ford 740 no longer charges battery. #6  
Thank You

Regulator crossed my mind…

Farm had a wind event that damaged a section of the pole barn roof… no damage to tractors and buggy… they were just in the way…

Now in the big 1850 barn but in a week covered in fine dust… probably a layer of gravel would keep the dust at bay…

No shortage of small projects to tend…
Yep, the Regulator doesn't like 12v. But you might be able to open it and clean up the contacts.