Ford 703 front end loader hydraulic bucket cylinder help

/ Ford 703 front end loader hydraulic bucket cylinder help #1  

Crown & Roots Farm

Tractor
1962 Ford 2000
Hi all,

I have a 1962 ford 2000 tractor with a ford 730 loader. Looking to replace the bucket cylinders on it. Does anyone know if any after market (ie Chief) ones are equal or how can I tell which ones I can use?
Thanks in advance!
Nick

Last edited:
   / Ford 703 front end loader hydraulic bucket cylinder help
Thank you for that info @seville009
I guess I was mixing up the names of the bucket and lift cylinders. Bucket cylinders are on the sides of the tractor, lift cylinders are in front connected to the bucket I guess. I actually need the lift cylinders (front ones) but not finding anything matching these numbers.
Lift Cylinder: Retracted Length 42-11/16" (108.43cm) Stroke 33-5/16" (84.61cm) Piston Diameter 2"

I'd think it's important to at least match the retracted length number? Maybe less so the stroke number perfectly?

Last edited:
   / Ford 703 front end loader hydraulic bucket cylinder help #4  
I guess I was mixing up the names of the bucket and lift cylinders. Bucket cylinders are on the sides of the tractor, lift cylinders are in front connected to the bucket I guess. I actually need the lift cylinders (front ones) but not finding anything matching these numbers.

You still have it mixed up. LIFT cylinders lift the arms. BUCKET cylinders dump the bucket. The "front ones" are the bucket cylinders and almost always shorter than the lift cylinders.

Lift Cylinder: Retracted Length 42-11/16" (108.43cm) Stroke 33-5/16" (84.61cm) Piston Diameter 2"

Bucket Cylinder: Retracted Length 31-5/16" (79.53cm) Stroke 20-1/16" (50.96cm) Piston Diameter 2"

You also need to know the BASE END and ROD END configurations and what type of ports. Go here and at the top of the page, enter the cylinder data to help find the cylinder that will fit. I wouldn't worry about fractions of inches. Also, Surplus Center has adapters if the cylinder ports don't exactly match your hoses.

/ Ford 703 front end loader hydraulic bucket cylinder help #5  
Why do you need new ones?

/ Ford 703 front end loader hydraulic bucket cylinder help
@Tinhack ok ive wrapped my head around it now, thank you. ive been going in circles confusing myself. First time dealing with hydraulic issues. The bucket cylinders are the ones I'd need.
I did some measurements myself and realized the loader is a Ford 703, not 730
It calls for double action cylinder, 39.5 retracted length, 20 stroke, diameter of piston/rod is 2/1.25, rod end clevis style,

Having a bear of a time trying to find a match. ah well, i'll keep on searching.

Last edited:
   / Ford 703 front end loader hydraulic bucket cylinder help #9  
It calls for double action cylinder, 39.5 retracted length, 20 stroke, diameter of piston/rod is 2/1.25, rod end clevis style
I just realized those cylinders are an odd ball size. I bet they have stroke blocks on the rod side or a shortened rod. A 39.5" cylinder with a 20" stroke means waisted space taken up by something. o_O

Here is a 40" cylinder with a 30" stroke. A hydraulic or machine shop could probably shorten the rod easily. I've done it myself, but I have a lathe and threading tools to remount the piston. It's a pretty simple job for either shop.