Ford 7000 Alternator/Voltage Regulator

/ Ford 7000 Alternator/Voltage Regulator #1  

crackerjack222

Silver Member
Tractor
4430, Ford 7000, MF235
Ok, so I am in the process of rebuilding a Ford 7000 (same as 5000, except with t-charger). Last problem is wiring the new alternator and voltage regulator. The original wiring was trashed, ie insulation melted, connectors corroded, wires rat chewed, wires hanging loose, etc......
So I tore out all the old wiring and have been rewiring what circuits I need. I have installed a new after-market temp gauge, Oil press gauge, and volt meter in an instrument panel I fabricated.
The new alternator has no identification on the terminals, and the I&T shop manual does not identify them, but an internet search seems to identify the terminals as: 12 o'clock, Field; 3 o'clock, AC Tap (?); 4 o'clock, GND; 7 o'clock, POS, (Battery); and 10 o'clock, REG.
The Voltage regulator from fleabay also has no terminal markings, but the I&T shop service manual identifies them as: F A I G where F is Field (Green wire), A is (?)(Yellow wire) and goes to (?) terminal on alternator and to Alternator Warning lite, then from the light to "ON" on the key-switch. The I (Ignition??) terminal (Red wire) goes thru a fuse link to the "ON" terminal on the key-switch. The G terminal (Black wire) goes to ground.
So I dont have a problem with the Field, I, GND on the VR; or the Field, POS (Battery), GND on the Alternator.

My question is: does the A term on VR (yellow wire) go to the REG terminal on Alternator? And does it need to have a lamp or resistor(? ohms) in the wire to the key-switch?
The original alternator had a wire on the the (AC Tap (?)) but I dont know where it should connect or what is does, the I&T manual is no help there. Ford 7000 wireing jpeg 001.jpg

Click on the image to get full size rendition.
Thanks for any help....

/ Ford 7000 Alternator/Voltage Regulator #2  
what is the make of the alternator

/ Ford 7000 Alternator/Voltage Regulator
I was afraid someone would ask that, I did not see any name on the alternator, there is a number but I don't have it available at home. It looks like this one:
Alternator Ford Tractor 6000 7000 8000 9000 8AL2056K | eBay
except mine does not have the label tag identifying the terminals. Have to believe it is the same as this one.

I bought it from a local alternator shop but they have not been much help. They told me to bring the tractor in and they would trouble-shoot the problem.....

/ Ford 7000 Alternator/Voltage Regulator #4  
Normally the REG wire from the alternator first goes to the alternator discharge lamp then to the voltage regulator.
The other terminal from the alternator discharge lamp goes to the key switch. Powered in RUN, START or possibly just RUN
If working correctly the discharge light will be lit when the key is ON. It will still be lit when started until voltage from the alternator exceeds the battery voltage. The alternator voltage then cancels the battery voltage and the light goes out.

/ Ford 7000 Alternator/Voltage Regulator #5  
your original alternator was a motorola part number a12nft600 or lester number 7362. if you will google dixie electric alternators if it gives you choices pick the one that has alternators and starters in middle of page on right blank box put in either number and it will show you a picture and it has NEXT click it will show you several pictures it has a blue external mounted didoe/rectifier plate also i noted in picture all bolt/nuts are insulated i suspect you may a non compatiable unit for your tractor these units are still available this unit is external regulated as is your tractor post back what you find

/ Ford 7000 Alternator/Voltage Regulator
   / Ford 7000 Alternator/Voltage Regulator #7  
for a motorola.. I believe this is correct:

Black = GND

Green = Field

Yellow = Ign sw (on a gas tractor) Maybe same on diesel (hot when ign on)?

Orange (you say red?) =AUX terminal on alternator (alt output before the isolation diode) (same point that 'idiot light" connects

/ Ford 7000 Alternator/Voltage Regulator #8  
   / Ford 7000 Alternator/Voltage Regulator #9  
cracker jack the picture from soundguy also shows isolation diode wiring diagram is very good by the way where are you located and did you have alternator and regulator at the rebuilder alternator can be checked without regulator it will go to full field which means in a matter of seconds it will go max output which is correct also does your regulator look like a boat light hook up