Ford 5500 TLB Hydraulic issues

/ Ford 5500 TLB Hydraulic issues #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Hope someone reads this that is intimately knowledgeable of the old ford hydraulics. Attached is a picture of the rear hydraulic setup I will reference through out this post.

5500 hydraulics.png

the 3-spool valve on the right in the diagram #64, controls the boom, dipper, and bucket, with the PB feeding the FEL. All of these come off the vane pump in the back of the diagram,(closest to the tractor) where tube #33 hooks to.

The spool on the left #63 in the diagram, controls the swing and two outriggers. And these are fed from the vane pump furthest from the tractor, where tube #50 connects.

Everything that operates off valve #63, swing and outriggers, work fine. But nothing off spool #64 works. No pressure. Things try to move, and its pumping fluid (verified by cracking a line). The FEL dont lift either. However the curl works (but I assume its just because the bucket is empty and with two massive cylinders, it dont take much pressure to curl). So If I dug into a pile, I doubt curl would work.

This issue stated off with things getting noisy. Like a pump starving or air in the system. But never a lack of power. So I added oil and changed the filter (thinking maybe it was a suction filter but it is not...its a return filter). That didnt help. Then out digging, she just quit all at once.

There are some load checks and a PRV on the spool in question. Tried screwing the PRV in and out several turns thinking maybe it had a blockage and trying to clear it out. No help. I am 99.9% certain it isnt an issue with the spools or the cylinders. Because the odds of blowing all the loader cylinders and 3 backhoe cylinders all at the same time are nil. And in order to transport home to shop, I backed the thing into a tree while operating the levers to tuck up into transport position. Once there, the load was held like normal.

So at this point.....what do the experts say? Issue with the valve/PRV? or issue with the vane pump that supplys that valve?

One think I found odd in how its plumbed....The second pump that supplys the swing and outriggers, thru the valve on the left #63....The PB of THAT valve is Tee'd into the supply line for valve #64 via tube #30. That dont make sense to me.

So at this point, I am thinking of doing the following. Put a pressure gauge on the suspect pump where line 33 hooks. If I have no pressure there, I asume that pump needs an overhaul. And to further confirm that the valve may be okay, remove that line 33 from where it supplies valve #64 and cap it, so it will ONLY be fed from the PB of valve 63. And see if functions work.

If I get pressure from the suspect pump, I will either take out the PRV and check valves out of valve #63 and inspect, or just remove the whole valve and see if I can find something wrong.

Any other ideas or simpler methods of trouble shooting?

/ Ford 5500 TLB Hydraulic issues
Update.

Unhooked line 33 and put a gauge directly at pump, and capped where that tube attaches to left valve at fitting 31.

Cranked over with fuel off so it wouldn't start. On about the second crank when pump primed, it pegged the 5000psi gauge.

So I am suspecting an issue with one of the valves. But the way the two are tied together is confusing and I am not sure where oil is supposed to be flowing.

I thin I am gonna hook the pump back up to the right valve, and disconnect the like coming in at the bottom of tee 31 coming from the left valve. See what pressures I am getting then

/ Ford 5500 TLB Hydraulic issues
Update:

Found some bad o-ring on the body of the PRV. Problem fixed.

But I did have to make a part I broke. It's the cap for one of the load check valves. Got a new one ordered but didn't want to wait til Wednesday to test it out. Broke the thin head off that retains the o-ring.

IMG_20160521_221246755-1600x900.jpgIMG_20160521_221326354-1600x900.jpgIMG_20160521_221256964-1600x900.jpg