Buying Advice Ford 550 loader backhoe questions

/ Ford 550 loader backhoe questions #31  
Gale,
I have the shop manual and just ordered the operators manual. I also find them to be a very valuable tool. However, I just thought since this is a tractor forum free for tractor discussion that I would throw a few feelers out there and see what peoples opinions were to my questions. Never did I think that as a new member or just a member for that matter I would be insulted and ridiculed for asking a question, be it silly or stupid in ones opinion. I thought about leaving your forum, but have since changed my mind because I shouldn’t let one bad apple spoil the bunch.

Eat the new guy is par for social sad to say. Hang in there an you will learn a lot. The worn out 1983 JD 310B backhoe has been one heck of a learning experience. So far it it has been mostly labor but hoses and fluid is adding up but hoses are once in a life time thing because some are OEM hoses that are failing or near failing. My policy is if for any reason a hose has to come off i go back with a new one if it is hard to get to. Like when one of the 6 that flex at the hoe/tractor connection we replaced all 6 that day since they had to come off and go back on in order. When the O-ring on the transmission housing let go I replaced both large hoses from that point to the hoe.

Sounds like you are making headway. :)

/ Ford 550 loader backhoe questions #32  
First of I am not attacking you. I already said that I know nothing about the Ford 550 or diesel mechanics and that is why I am here to learn. I assure you I am very knowledgeable on many other mechanical fronts including the difference between 2 different manuals. If you don稚 wanna be helpful that痴 fine. Ignore my posts, be done with me, but don稚 lash out at me because I am posting in this forum. You sir are the one that sent me a link and product number for a FiatAllis owners manual. We are clearly talking about a Ford 550. In the future keep your insults to yourself. Didn稚 your mama teach you if you ain稚 got nothin nice to say don稚 say nothin at all?

This is a old post, however, I'm looking at a 550, and came here to see what everyone thought about them. Upon reading through everyone's opinion I just couldn't leave without
saying, I find that there was no reason for "Rick B" to attack your credibility. I find his posts regarding you offensive and uncalled for, and he should have kept his thoughts
to himself. This is a great site for information and good old fashion civility, thankfully these occurrences are rare. Good luck, hope your 550 is still running well.

/ Ford 550 loader backhoe questions #33  
This is a old post, however, I'm looking at a 550, and came here to see what everyone thought about them. Upon reading Good luck, hope your 550 is still running well.
Bump. Looking at an old 550 now.

Got an education on mini ex prices...wow by the pound they are pricey,

Need something for stump removal and 1st digging out a burn pit. (the JD 550G-LT is in use by another family member at a different local and will be for the foreseeable future)

I really liked my Ford 3000 and the 550 has basically the same 3 cylinder Ford diesel with a few more cubes in an 11.5K lb. shuttle shift backhoe and although mid 70s is old it is still a decade newer than the 3000 was.
No emissions to worry about:) Don't mind getting my hands dirty doing some work and maintenance.

So anyone have something to say on Ford 550's Good Bad or Ugly?

Last edited:
   / Ford 550 loader backhoe questions #34  
Powerwise....they will hang with a mini pound for pound. But they aren't as fast....

Backhoes have their place if your digging once in awhile, or have a need for a pretty powerful loader....or in general, a more multi-purpose machine....

If trailering isn't an issue....the bigger the better on old backhoes. Lots more power with size.

I used to have a 5500 Ford. Alot bigger than a 550 or 555. The 5500 became the 755. Bout 18k pounds but a helluva stump machine. Lots more power than my current 8000lb mini.

That old iron is pretty cheap.....but look it over good. They can be a money pit if you have to start replacing hoses, rebuilding cylinders, tightening up pins and bushings, and add as much hydraulic oil as you do diesel

/ Ford 550 loader backhoe questions #35  
Another thing I have noticed about alot of the 550's and 555's is they seem to have a dorky (for lack of better words) bucket. Like way too shallow to hold much volume and not enough rollback. But I have never actually ran one. Only the predecessor....the 4500

/ Ford 550 loader backhoe questions #36  
Powerwise....they will hang with a mini pound for pound. But they aren't as fast....

Backhoes have their place if your digging once in awhile, or have a need for a pretty powerful loader....or in general, a more multi-purpose machine....

If trailering isn't an issue....the bigger the better on old backhoes. Lots more power with size.

I used to have a 5500 Ford. Alot bigger than a 550 or 555. The 5500 became the 755. Bout 18k pounds but a helluva stump machine. Lots more power than my current 8000lb mini.

That old iron is pretty cheap.....but look it over good. They can be a money pit if you have to start replacing hoses, rebuilding cylinders, tightening up pins and bushings, and add as much hydraulic oil as you do diesel

Honestly they’re probably stronger pound per pound. I feel like I could pull stumps better with my backhoe vs my buddies 80 excavator. But an excavator is way more productive. My 9500 pound excavator will run with the full size backhoe digging dirt. I’ve had a Deere 310 backhoe and a 410 backhoe. A newer model 310 is quite a bit bigger than the old school backhoes and the 410 was a big boy.

/ Ford 550 loader backhoe questions #37  
Yeah when we first started clearing the property we tried to rent a cat 320 ex but it was in use so we ended up with a 312, even that "smaller" ex made short work of trees and stumps and burn pits.
My dad had an 85000lb Hitachi ex for several years, That thing was a beast. Was a bit of $$ to move it though
Tried to talk my sis into selling me their old Komatsu PC 75 but they think it has paid for itself many times over so no joy there.

I will know more by Saturday.

Need to get that pit re dug.
Our area is being developed at a crazy rate and Backhoes, ex's, mini and midi ex's seem to go dearly. If this old Ford will get the jobs that I need done I will probably buy it -leaks ,welds, rust ,play and all, maybe just missing my old 3000 a bit to.. It will be nice to have 2 tractors again. A back up is nice to have.

Last edited:
   / Ford 550 loader backhoe questions #38  
Another thing I have noticed about alot of the 550's and 555's is they seem to have a dorky (for lack of better words) bucket. Like way too shallow to hold much volume and not enough rollback. But I have never actually ran one. Only the predecessor....the 4500
Thanks for the info LD1

Well... after looking it over and running it for an hour+ I bought it.

Thought I might be able to haul it on my fifth wheel but after measuring the front tire width it was a no go, on top of that I would have been "over" by a bit on the max load weight.

Will be making a trip back to pick it up in the next few days with my nephew who has a flat bed gooseneck rated for about 14k lb.

I can put it to work immediately but I will do an oil/filter change and air the filter elements.
Hydro fluid and filter was done in the last 100 hours.
The injector pump was also replaced right before this gentleman bought it.

The bad things that need to be addressed after the pit is dug:

Leaky internal seal on the right stabilizer leg- leaks down slowly.
weepy FEL right lift seal in the end gland nut
Dripping trans cooler line at the radiator-will probably add an external trans cooler since he thinks the fitting may be damaged in some way at the radiator itself.
new pin / bushing for 2 of the bucket pivots- loose rattly.
New seat cover, a pull cable for diesel cut off-has a wire right now
Lots of little stuff.

After a Good clean up and some repairs may even give it a coat of New Holland Yellow since I still have have about 12 quarts of the stuff.

He also had the 660+ page service manual download for me included along with some adaptable long forks for the bucket, but he needed to get them from another location. \

I was able to verify this 550 has the larger more powerful Hoe of the 3 that were available.

Overall Very happy for the price we worked out.

A pic of my new Old Hoe.

Attachments

• PXL_20220902_165629367.jpg
    PXL_20220902_165629367.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 91
Last edited:
   / Ford 550 loader backhoe questions #39  
Take some blocking. Some lengths of random boards or something to get creating loading if necessary.

I never had any issues loading my 5500 on my deck over, but dad's 4500 would go. The he would drag at the swing post where the base of the main boom pins to it.

Had to block the ramps op a bit and have the back tires drive up on boards to clear.

Either that...or try and back the trailer tires down into a swale, or back the tail of the trailer upto a hill or something

/ Ford 550 loader backhoe questions #40  
Take some blocking. Some lengths of random boards or something to get creating loading if necessary.

I never had any issues loading my 5500 on my deck over, but dad's 4500 would go. The he would drag at the swing post where the base of the main boom pins to it.

Had to block the ramps op a bit and have the back tires drive up on boards to clear.

Either that...or try and back the trailer tires down into a swale, or back the tail of the trailer upto a hill or something
Yeah on my 5vr it is a utility tilt so the side rails are over a foot high @80 inches inside width. Rear tires were fine width wise.
If I had just been thinking I bet those front wheels on that vintage Ford are reversible and they had them reversed to get a really wide front width.

Oh well this way the load will be fully legal and they have load range G tires on their trailer , mine are only E rated I think the axles are a bit heavier on the flat deck as well. Unless something unforeseen happens we will pick up the 550 on Sunday morning.