FORD 505 sickle mower parts

/ FORD 505 sickle mower parts #1  

nwut05

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland T-1510, T 4.75
Hello Folks, I recently picked up a Ford 505 sickle mower, the same as an IH 1300. I need some information on the mower and have a few questions from the more experienced on here. My first question would be is, what type of knives do I need to buy and possibly part numbers from somewhere like agri supply, tractor supply etc. Next question is the fella I got it from said I needed an end knife that was double sided, anyone know what he meant? and also part numbers or any info would help me. And last, where is the best place to buy these parts besides the dealer. the man I got it from stated he had a website that still sold all the parts but could not remember it exactly and it had been a while since he been on it. There is a few more minor things I would like to replace on it ( i.e. the pulley wheel that the cable runs through to the drawbar and the rear belt shield )

I hate to sound totally out there with these questions but I just haven't had much experience with sickle mowers.

Thanks for your time .

/ FORD 505 sickle mower parts
Soo..... Nobody has any experience with sickle mowers??? Guess all the old guys forgot after disk mowers and drum mowers came about........and the new guys are afraid to get out of their cab tractors and air conditioning to adjust a few things manually without their computer or GPS to tell them where to go, or what to do.....maybe that what has happened.....and by the way better check the radar map before you get out that cab or you might get wet....ha ha ha

HONESTLY no disrespect intended...........i just cannot believe over 100 people have read the post and know nothing about what i asked...........ANYWAY..

Now Let's see if i can help someone who may need or want to know what my research has discovered.

The ford 505 mower is built by Case IH as the model 1300 also the New Idea 522 is the same mowers just possible difference in cutter bar length 5' 6' 7' or 9'

These mowers do not have a Pittman arm and will mow at any angle positive and around 75 deg. negative.

Rowse Rakes acquired the patents for the mowers some time back and still produces the mower under their own model number of 290. They also place the mower on a wheeled platform and add a hydraulic cylinder to raise and lower the cutter heads. parts are available for the mowers just go check out their website by searching Rowse Rakes and single section sickle mowers.

I also have found that my local New Holland, Case, and New Idea/ Massey Ferguson dealers do not carry many parts for these mowers anymore. This info based on phone calls i made to the dealers.

P.S. some of the people i spoke with at the dealers were young and had never heard of the Ford 505, and one even suggested i was actually talking about a 515. Then he checked the computer and yep there was a 505 mower in their he just didn't have any parts ( sickles).

/ FORD 505 sickle mower parts #3  
Sweet Tractor, Agri-supply, Sloan Express and others sell sections. I recall from my old 515 it called for a twin section at the blade tip. That attempted to double cut the grass so it didn't wad up at the end of the blade.
Jim

/ FORD 505 sickle mower parts #5  
I've dealt with Webb's several times. Great folk's to deal with in the past. I got a couple bolt on section, complete knives for my old IH 990 MoCo, and extra bolts & nuts for repairs. At the time, they had the best price, and shipping was pretty quick.

Thank You all very much for the replies. I have found out that the double knife end sections the man was referring too is actually a knife and a half knife made together (kinda a good description) and it helps prevent clogging at the end shoe. I also found that, there really aren't that many people that know a lot about this mower anymore. most of the local guys owned Massey Fergusons or the New Holland 451's and many of them still do, and most traded older pitman mowers to get them. I have found some suppliers away from here very helpful in getting the knives (sickle sections) I need and I plan on ordering soon as to be ready for summer. I don't plan on mowing much hay with this mower just road banks and creek banks (small creek) but without a doubt I will need Knife sections eventually......

Again thanks for any advice on operating this mower or finding parts if I needed them.... I am in search of the pulley the cable runs through and goes to the drawbar ....if anyone has any ....

/ FORD 505 sickle mower parts #7  
The pulley is still available though Ford/New Holland. Looks to be about $53.00. Hope the link carries through. Object moved Click on (015) 3 pt. hitch, and the exploded parts view will appear. # 5 in the parts list, with price. And that price should be good at any NH dealer.

Thank You DJ54, That is some very handy information, yes the link came through and showed me the parts and the price of the ones available at that site. I will check with my local NH dealer also. Again Thank You .

/ FORD 505 sickle mower parts #10  
I have the 1300 IH, the same thing as the 505. As far as I know the sections are a common size and off the shelf ( I get mine at Tractor Supply ) you just need to decide on smooth or serrated. The end section for my mower is also at TSC, it kind'a looks like one and a half sections made together. Though the part numbers are all the same for ford, IH or Rowse , if you can source Ford part they are much cheaper. Try Messicke. Sorry no link, just do a search .