Ford 5030 trying to locate hydraulic screen / jerky hydraulics

/ Ford 5030 trying to locate hydraulic screen / jerky hydraulics #1  

Oregon2023

Tractor
John Deere 855, 2520, 2040
I've got a Ford 5030 shuttle shift that is having an issue with the hydraulics I can't seem to figure out. The transmission shifts great, and the power steering works tolerably. The loader and 3-point hydraulic are very slow and jerky. The loader runs off the rear remotes supplied by the engine driven hydraulic pump and will slowly lift but very jerky. The 3-point will raise over a period of about 5-minutes.

The engine driven hydraulic pump is new (same problem with the old pump). I've change the o-rings on both ends of the hydraulic suction line, brand new hydraulic spin on filters, etc. I have not been able to locate a suction pickup screen, or find any reference to one in the manual. When the engine is running I can hear a sucking sound, but can't find any leaks. When moving the loader the sucking sound goes away when the control lever is moved.

Any ideas, things to look for?

/ Ford 5030 trying to locate hydraulic screen / jerky hydraulics #2  
I don't think there is a suction screen on that tractor. Just a single filter ahead of each pump. The loader is operated from the tractor's remote valves with no dedicated loader valve I assume? Does the jerky motion apply to the three point as well? That operates strictly from the internal pump. The front pump has nothing to do with three point operation.

/ Ford 5030 trying to locate hydraulic screen / jerky hydraulics
Yes, the loader is operated with the right hand remote valves. I will switch it to the left have valves tomorrow and see if that isolates the problem to the remotes, but I'll have to clean them up a bit since they haven't been used in years.

The 3-point just about doesn't move. It takes 5 minutes or so to raise it all the way up.

The valve under the hex head cap where the red arrow is pointing is a bit rusty and seems stuck. I'll pull and clean it tomorrow and try to get better photos. I'll report back the results.

Attachments

• IMG_9592.jpeg
    IMG_9592.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 24
   / Ford 5030 trying to locate hydraulic screen / jerky hydraulics #4  
More pictures of your set up would help👍. Is the tractor new to you? Not sure how familiar you’re with it. First thing I’d check is the flow control down by your right ankle above floor board . Should be clocked fully counter clockwise for max flow, only turns maybe 45 degrees. This controls the lift speed of your 3pt hitch.
The right remote control lever needs to be held up to supply oil to your loader valve from the right rear quick couplers . Make sure the flow control knob on your rear valve is set to rabbit.
I’m assuming you pulled the dipstick and checked the rear axle oil level/supply is correct?
Power steering is separate pump and reservoir/filter canister at front left of engine, make sure it’s full.

/ Ford 5030 trying to locate hydraulic screen / jerky hydraulics #5  
Is your oil level in the rear end correct? What dies the oil look like?

The transmission oil is separate from the rear end/hydraulic oil.

Last edited:
   / Ford 5030 trying to locate hydraulic screen / jerky hydraulics
There’s no flow control valve other than individually on the rear remotes. I have looked over it carefully for one.

Transmission and rear end hydraulic fluid I just drained and refilled with the correct fluid and installed new filters hoping that would fix it.

I’m starting to hear an uneven sucking sound coming from the pickup tube in the area behind the steering column, under the fuel tank. Thinking maybe a pinhole was worn into the tube. The metal clamp located in that spot was loose and the rubber spacer missing.

/ Ford 5030 trying to locate hydraulic screen / jerky hydraulics #7  
Quite possible a pinhole. I know you put a new oring on the pump, but did you grease the tube and make sure it is pushed in all the way?
Without the clamp, there is nothing to hold it in place.