Sickle Bar Ford 501 Sickle Bar Mower on John Deere Sub-compact tractor (2305)

/ Ford 501 Sickle Bar Mower on John Deere Sub-compact tractor (2305) #1  

gorluxtbn

Tractor
JD 2305
Anyone have experience connecting a Ford 501 (14-92) Sickle Bar mower to a John Deere Sub-compact tractor?
I can connect all points of the 3-point, but the stabilizers are much too long for my JD 2305 and the spring and chain don't seem to have anywhere to go.
I was able to get it to run without any attach points besides the 3-point and the PTO, but I can't lift the far end of the blade off the ground.
Also the ball on the blade keeps slipping out from the brackets attached to the pitman arm.
Thanks for any guidance.
John

/ Ford 501 Sickle Bar Mower on John Deere Sub-compact tractor (2305) #2  
The ford 501 was made to fit REGULAR SIZE UTILITY TRACTORS not SUB-COMPACT that is why the stabilizers are to long the lower hitch arms are to short either shorten the stabilizers are get longer lower hitch arms.I would go the longer hitch arms if I recall when I had my 2305 the arms could be interchanged with longer ones by pulling the little flip over pins that hold then on the studs you will have to measure the length that the arms need to be then either find longer ones or make them.Also the spring and chain it what lifts the far end of the cutter bar so you may need to alter it to work it sounds that it may have to be shorter but do that last after you address the other issues first.On the ball on the end of the blade (sickle). Check the brackets for ware and also the pitman arm where they attach to see if it (pitman arm) is split.If that is all good then the BALL on the end of the sickle needs replacing. (Cut the rivets that holds the ball end and just replace that if the rest is OK if not buy a new sickle) I used a 501 for years there good mowers. Later on replaced it with a NH HAYBINE. Hope this helps!!!

/ Ford 501 Sickle Bar Mower on John Deere Sub-compact tractor (2305)
Thanks - very helpful comments. Didn't know the hitch arms could be replaced with longer ones. The top of the pitman arm splintered so I have a couple of new arms on order.
I'm thinking that because I haven't attached either the chain at the top, nor the left stabilizer with the arm, there may be too much downward pressure at the end of the bar--maybe this is causing the ball to release.

/ Ford 501 Sickle Bar Mower on John Deere Sub-compact tractor (2305) #4  
Will the 501 hook up to a 3910 or is the tractor too small to handle it? Tried to put it on 5600 but the pto shaft is definitely not straight enough.

/ Ford 501 Sickle Bar Mower on John Deere Sub-compact tractor (2305) #5  
The 501 has been around since Hector was a pup. It can be used on any Category I hitch tractor. A 9N can easily operate it. As for the stabilizer, a chain would work.

/ Ford 501 Sickle Bar Mower on John Deere Sub-compact tractor (2305)
I would think the Ford 3910 would be able to lift and power the 501 since my JD 2305 can do it with less HP, but you may have to fuss with the connections, stabilizers, and 501 adjustments to get the right ground pressure.

/ Ford 501 Sickle Bar Mower on John Deere Sub-compact tractor (2305) #7  
Check the brackets for ware and also the pitman arm where they attach to see if it (pitman arm) is split.If that is all good then the BALL on the end of the sickle needs replacing. (Cut the rivets that holds the ball end and just replace that if the rest is OK if not buy a new sickle) I used a 501 for years there good mowers. Later on replaced it with a NH HAYBINE. Hope this helps!!!

I finally got my 501 hooked up to a ford 851 toady. It was a educational process! Wow!
I can remember when that's what everybody cut hay with. Finally figured it out and I'll post a pic later. Only think I ran into is ill have to remove the PTO clutch for clear emcee to hook up drive shaft and the lower right stud on 3 pt wasn't long enough hardly to connect stabilizer bar. I was able to connect finally with a smaller pin.

Why does the ball on the end of the sickle need replaced?
Pitman arm still looks good , belt, springs etc good. Blade is just rusty. Will be soaking in oil.

/ Ford 501 Sickle Bar Mower on John Deere Sub-compact tractor (2305) #8  
Will the 501 hook up to a 3910 or is the tractor too small to handle it? Tried to put it on 5600 but the pto shaft is definitely not straight enough.

My 3910 would handle the 501 mower and never break sweat. Maybe I'm missing something here??