Ford 5000 brake rod seal boot

/ Ford 5000 brake rod seal boot #1  

fireman4074

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF 231S
I have Ford 5000. I am trying find easiest way to install the brake rod seal boot on this tractor. I caught hell trying get old one out but now new one won’t go in. I tried to press it in but still not luck. Have anyone tackle this issue and can help me out???? Plz

/ Ford 5000 brake rod seal boot #2  
I have Ford 5000. I am trying find easiest way to install the brake rod seal boot on this tractor. I caught hell trying get old one out but now new one won’t go in. I tried to press it in but still not luck. Have anyone tackle this issue and can help me out???? Plz
Get a piece of pipe that fits it. Maybe run on a grinder a little and start a bevel. On the back corner of seal. Make sure you got all of old one out. Put grease on it. Put pipe on it and smack it.then after install fasten to brake shaft and put nut and washer on. Kinda helps if you have a cheap caliper to see how close it is.

Last edited:
   / Ford 5000 brake rod seal boot #3  
I let out some oil to a lower lever than the oil.
Clean that area where the seal must sit with carbcleaner and the fit the seal.
With a clean area that seal will grip and the instalation will be very easy !
Remember to fit the inner part with your fingers and not a sharp tool in its groove .

/ Ford 5000 brake rod seal boot
This is how my seal is made. The silver ring is what not going in. It wasn’t on the old one that I had to scrape off.
DE37551D-2F52-4EA9-B2ED-C21BD4BFA36C.jpeg

/ Ford 5000 brake rod seal boot #5  
They all have the metal support in some form or fashion. If your old one didn't come out it still may be in the axle housing. There isn't room for two.