ford 4600 diesel thermostat

/ ford 4600 diesel thermostat #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
guys there are 3 thermostat options for my tractor. which one is the standard?

/ ford 4600 diesel thermostat
So the coldest? I would have guessed the middle one which is mid 170's i think.

Ok thanks. I looked up the 4600 and 4610. The standard for 4600 is 168 and for the 4610 its a 180. Why is that?

/ ford 4600 diesel thermostat #6  
Best answer I have is somebody figured out it was stupid to have a cold thermostat in a diesel engine. But they weren't smart enough to go back and update the older parts catalogs. Those tractors share engine displacements, fuel settings, water pumps and basic radiator dimensions.

I have ordered the 180F thermostat. Just out of curiosity where does your gage run during normal operation when using the 180? The reason I'm asking is that in October when I purchased my 1980 Ford 4600 SU i thought it was running hot. I noticed it was low on coolant and thought that was the issue. However once i got it home It took very little coolant to fill up. I then hooked my 6ft Bush Hog and headed for thick high grass. I ran in 5th gear in the deep thick stuff and it actually wouldn't overheat. Instead it gets close to the red (just like it dis idling) but never gets any hotter. So my thinking now is its a thermostat issue. So to my question, is there a chance someone already has the 180 in it and is the needle suppose to run this high on the gauge?

/ ford 4600 diesel thermostat #8  
Get yourself an instant-read laser thermometer, about $20, aim it at the tstat housing, and them you'll know. Dash gauges often get off after many years.
Jim

Just bought one last month so will do. Another member mentioned as well and that's a great idea

/ ford 4600 diesel thermostat #10  
I'd still be suspicious of the tstat since you say it gets hot idling? Or a badly worn water pump? And did you blow out the fins on the radiator? I'm not sure you're done yet...
Jim