Ford 4400 Diesel engine problem

/ Ford 4400 Diesel engine problem #1  

City Farmer

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 3000, 4400 & 4500TLB Case 830 Case 350 dozer
Hi everyone,

I have an issue with my 4400 three cylinder diesel. It has original 2600 hrs and always started fine down to about 30* with no glow plugs or block heater but the last week or so it’s been hard starting but ran ok.

Two days ago while I was running it, it started blowing plumes of black smoke at higher RPM’s. While cranking it over, it’s making some sounds like it was starving for air.

I pulled out the air cleaner and it’s pushing some air out the cleaner compartment. I opened the hood and there was diesel fluid around the #1 injector. I installed a new injector.....same problem. Next, I pulled off the valve cover and everything is working like it should. All valves open/close and no bent push rods. My buddies tell me it jumped timing but I think it’s almost impossible without breaking something inside the engine because everything is geared together.

I was doing some reading and found that the head gasket might’ve failed between two cylinders. Is there anything else I should look at before I pull off the head?

Thanks,
Andy

/ Ford 4400 Diesel engine problem
Gut your old injector and do a compression test.
Thanks Rick. Made it happen yesterday and was happy to see the head gasket failed between 2 & 3. It’s hard to believe after 50 years the cylinders look great with the cross hatching still in them.

Attachments

• F7B82A09-E617-4207-9095-D8A052DB18AB.jpeg
    F7B82A09-E617-4207-9095-D8A052DB18AB.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 56
   / Ford 4400 Diesel engine problem #4  
Those 201's are a tough engine. I think it's recommended to retorque the head bolts occasionally on those which is probably what happened...

My brother has a 4600 that ran bad when working it for an hour, changed injectors so it wasn't that, it's apparently in the injector pump, he started adding a little Diesel Kleen in the fuel and it was like magic... so if you have any question, try that stuff! Red diesel isn't common around here so it probably has something to do with the low Sulphur content...