Ford 4000

/ Ford 4000 #11  
I kinda like the valvebody under the seat. My 660 and 850 are setup that way. I use a thumb and forfinger to runt he loader or 3pt.

On the flip side.. all you have to do to get a fender mount joystick is to run fluid from that under seat valve to your convienient valve onthe fender or dash... just a little more plumbing.. just make the underseat valve body a 'remote'.. and plumb the laoder from the remote.. etc.

soundguy

/ Ford 4000 #12  
NDRick said:
Hey Folks,

I went and actually looked at the tractor today. The guy could'nt be there so I could'nt drive it.

I was hoping you could digest what I saw/found out and give me a little feedback if/when you had a chance.

So here goes ...

The tires have been filled for weight.

The fella said over the phone that he's lifted upwards of 1800lb bales with her.

I saw zero welds/cracks anywhere on the loader or on the tractor for that matter.

All the hoses looked to be in exceptional shape.

He said he'd kept it inside and it looked it.

The loader is run by a pump mounted on the front of the tractor. The guy said it's OE.

He has a 2 hose hyd rear blade (not part of the deal but on there) .
The hoses are mounted to a box that looks OE just forward/under the seat.

It is infact a Hi/Lo four speed.

I saw a couple tall levers just in front of the seat?

All in all I'd say it looked in great shape.

Anyway considering what I saw today is there anything anyone would want to add?

Lastly ... if I can take here for a spin tomorrow is there anything else I should keep my eye out for?

Thanx!! in advance for any info you can provide.

Rick
My 4000 had a pump for the loader on the front, running off the crank and the loader controls were on the loader tower (you can see them in the one picture). The lever under the seat controled the rear remote. A really nice feature. I pulled a large hydraulic no-till grass drill and ran my log splitter off the remotes. The transmission is set up as a shuttle (forward/reverse) that is great for loader work. It did have power steering. I had to rebuild both the steering pump and the hydraulic pump. Both are external and easy to get to.
Beyond the usual smoke test, I might ask if he has had the hydraulic pump rebuilt. I have an N of one, so it may not be an issue with other 4000s.

/ Ford 4000 #13  
Make sure your Ford 4000 gets the right power steering fluid. Ours leaked for years and kept getting worse. Had the reddish ATF fluid in it when we got it and that's what we kept adding....no operator's manual.

When it got to the point where it looked like a rebuild was next, I checked at NH and found I was supposed to be using something else. Put the right stuff in and the leaks stopped. Been fine ever since.
Bob

/ Ford 4000 #14  
ATF is quite a bit thinner than UTF..

Soundguy

/ Ford 4000
Folks,

Thanx!! for all the help ... one more question though

The gal who owns the tractor took some serial numbers off an ID tag plate located inside the engine hood area.

The ID plate showed the following ...

Tractor ID C292192

Model D1024C

Unit OM22B

Engine OD16A

Trans 0E26B

Our question is ... Is the tractor ID number the number used to figure out the year the tractor was produced? and what do the other numbers mean?

I'm/we are interseted in the tractor ID number because if it represents the production year (C292192) would seem to indicate the tractor is a 1971 model ... see below.

1970: C257600
1971: C292100

This is interesting because the fella said it was a mid
1960's tractor?

Anyway, Thanx!! in advance for any/all replies

Rick in North Dakota ... it's a dry cold

/ Ford 4000 #16  
Assuming that the sheet metal is original, you are correct in it being manufactured in 1971.

/ Ford 4000 #17  
Here's some interesting news for you:

C292192 is technically 92 units into the 1971 SN range.

However.. the date code of 0M22B decodes to:
0 = 1970
m= december
22 = dec, 22, 1970
b = day shift IE.. a late dec 70 model.. most likely produced for the 71 year.. etc.

Model D1024C

d = 4000 ( post 4-1968 )
10 = Ag all purpose chassie
2 = gas fuel
4 = indepentend 540 pto
C = 8spd trans.

Soundguy

NDRick said:
Folks,

Thanx!! for all the help ... one more question though

The gal who owns the tractor took some serial numbers off an ID tag plate located inside the engine hood area.

The ID plate showed the following ...

Tractor ID C292192

Model D1024C

Unit OM22B

Engine OD16A

Trans 0E26B

Our question is ... Is the tractor ID number the number used to figure out the year the tractor was produced? and what do the other numbers mean?

I'm/we are interseted in the tractor ID number because if it represents the production year (C292192) would seem to indicate the tractor is a 1971 model ... see below.

1970: C257600
1971: C292100

This is interesting because the fella said it was a mid
1960's tractor?

Anyway, Thanx!! in advance for any/all replies

Rick in North Dakota ... it's a dry cold

/ Ford 4000 #18  
Soundguy said:
Here's some interesting news for you:

C292192 is technically 92 units into the 1971 SN range.

However.. the date code of 0M22B decodes to:
0 = 1970
m= december
22 = dec, 22, 1970
b = day shift IE.. a late dec 70 model.. most likely produced for the 71 year.. etc.

Model D1024C

d = 4000 ( post 4-1968 )
10 = Ag all purpose chassie
2 = gas fuel
4 = indepentend 540 pto
C = 8spd trans.

Soundguy

Most tractors, as is common in the automotive industry, switch production of model years prior to the change of calander years. John Deere as a "for instance" used to change production of a model year designation at the end of August. Massey Ferguson, when production was still done in Detroit Michigan, changed model year designation 15th of November. From what I've been told, Ford always had a seasonal shut down about mid December. (Ford Explorer plant in Louisville is on shut down right now) Model year designation probably started with a new model year after that shutdown ended.

/ Ford 4000 #19  
GM and Ford have both shut down some of their truck plants to help reduce inventory on the dealers lots. GM shut three plants down and Ford shut down the Explorer plant near you and one of their truck plants (I don't remember where though). With the way the economy is going people have not been buying trucks and the dealers lots are full of them. I can imagine oil prices are not going to help matters much for the future.

/ Ford 4000 #20  
That would seem to be what happened here then. Due to the close proximity of the #'s.. must have been real close.. perhaps days from the break point.

Soundguy

Farmwithjunk said:
Most tractors, as is common in the automotive industry, switch production of model years prior to the change of calander years. John Deere as a "for instance" used to change production of a model year designation at the end of August. Massey Ferguson, when production was still done in Detroit Michigan, changed model year designation 15th of November. From what I've been told, Ford always had a seasonal shut down about mid December. (Ford Explorer plant in Louisville is on shut down right now) Model year designation probably started with a new model year after that shutdown ended.