Ford 4000 Pricing and Advice

/ Ford 4000 Pricing and Advice #1  

PVourlitis

Tractor
Ford LGT14H, Wanting Something Bigger
Hello,
I am on the hunt for a reasonably priced tractor with a loader bucket...in 2022 that is easier said than done. My budget being only $5K I am looking for something older that needs some work. Willing to put in some time to make it right.

I found this Ford 4000 on Craigslist and spoke with the gentleman over the phone for a while. The motor had "knocking" when parked and he has a spare motor he purchased a replacement. With the loader he is asking $4000. With it being running with loader and rear arm attachment, am I breaking even or well ahead?

Tractors of this power in Kubota or John Deere seems to go for $8-10K plus. Thanks for any advise!

Southwest Michigan.

1649276551525.png

/ Ford 4000 Pricing and Advice #2  
Hello,
I am on the hunt for a reasonably priced tractor with a loader bucket...in 2022 that is easier said than done. My budget being only $5K I am looking for something older that needs some work. Willing to put in some time to make it right.

I found this Ford 4000 on Craigslist and spoke with the gentleman over the phone for a while. The motor had "knocking" when parked and he has a spare motor he purchased a replacement. With the loader he is asking $4000. With it being running with loader and rear arm attachment, am I breaking even or well ahead?

Tractors of this power in Kubota or John Deere seems to go for $8-10K plus. Thanks for any advise!

Southwest Michigan.
Some ambiguity should be cleared up.
If it is a 4000 with 4 cylinders I can tell you from firsthand experience that a better tractor in that horsepower range was never built. Some equal (like JD New Generation in same era) but none better. I would pay $5k for a 4 cyl 4000 gasser and loader in good,$6k in excellent condition. Add $1k for diesel ONLY IF IN excellent condition.
Then there's the matter of fuel and transmission. Selectospeed NO THANK YOU. Diesel basket case,better pass unless you are highly qulified diesel rebuilder. As equiped I expect it has possibly been worked hard and that make's it a parts tractor imo. You say "running but knocking" seller says "pulled down". Eventhough engine need's rebuilt that makes a huge difference in value.
I like the model but have a bad feeling about this specimen until I can lay hands on. $2,000 sight unseen and half that is in the loader.

/ Ford 4000 Pricing and Advice #3  
If he's throwing in another engine I'd jump all over that. Anything else probably not. But a 4000 series or 5000 series yes.

/ Ford 4000 Pricing and Advice
Both engines are gas. Thank you
It does have power steering, which is a plus.

/ Ford 4000 Pricing and Advice #5  
Any chance of hearing the spare motor run? And I don't think that is a current pic.
Too green for this time of year, so how long has it been sitting there. I would be worried
about the exposed portion of the cylinder rods getting pitted. Are you going to look at it,
or buying sight unseen?

David

Some ambiguity should be cleared up.
If it is a 4000 with 4 cylinders I can tell you from firsthand experience that a better tractor in that horsepower range was never built. Some equal (like JD New Generation in same era) but none better. I would pay $5k for a 4 cyl 4000 gasser and loader in good,$6k in excellent condition. Add $1k for diesel ONLY IF IN excellent condition.
Then there's the matter of fuel and transmission. Selectospeed NO THANK YOU. Diesel basket case,better pass unless you are highly qulified diesel rebuilder. As equiped I expect it has possibly been worked hard and that make's it a parts tractor imo. You say "running but knocking" seller says "pulled down". Eventhough engine need's rebuilt that makes a huge difference in value.
I like the model but have a bad feeling about this specimen until I can lay hands on. $2,000 sight unseen and half that is in the loader.
Thank you. I was reading on the Tractor data website and it says they only came with 3 cylinder gas or diesel? This has a gas engine but I did not ask about cylinder count. Interesting.

/ Ford 4000 Pricing and Advice #7  
There are 2 4000 series, the early model used a 4 cylinder the later model used a 3 cylinder. Makes a big difference in parts and tractor, the pic looks like a later model from what I can see.

Any chance of hearing the spare motor run? And I don't think that is a current pic.
Too green for this time of year, so how long has it been sitting there. I would be worried
about the exposed portion of the cylinder rods getting pitted. Are you going to look at it,
or buying sight unseen?

David
Good point on the greenery! I would go take it look at it. About 2 hrs from me. I will call to get more pics out of him and see if it's 3 or 4 cylinder.

/ Ford 4000 Pricing and Advice #9  
There are 2 4000 series, the early model used a 4 cylinder the later model used a 3 cylinder. Makes a big difference in parts and tractor, the pic looks like a later model from what I can see.
I agree with that information but have to ask what in the picture make's you believe it's a later model. I guessed it to be an earlier model based on fender shape. Late models have a rather small fender that is square/flat top. I wouldn't stake my life on it based a small glimpse of fender because it might be neither early or late 4000. It could be an European Ford Major or any of several hundered series. I only ask in case I;m overlooking something and want to sharpen my skills. In any case op shouldn't think used tractors can be bought based on pictures shown to interweb buds,I was raised using and working on them but can't assign value without laying hands and eyes on in person.

/ Ford 4000 Pricing and Advice #10  
Are you a good mechanic with shop and tools? Are you looking for a "project"? Do you have an additional $2K to put into this project?

If all answers are yes, go for it.

If any are no, skip it.

If all are no, don't pay any attention to these types of "projects" and look for something that is functional.

Good luck in your search.