Ford 4000 engine question. Help!

/ Ford 4000 engine question. Help! #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
I have a 1971 4000 su with high hours that runs rough (vibration) during certain parts of the rpm range. It's done this since I bought it in 04. I have totally rebuilt front end and alot of other stuff but nothing engine related. The tractor starts well even in very cold weather too. So does normal wear from high hours cause a much less smoother engine than normal. My 3910 and friends 4610 su run much smoother. I want to rebuild the engine next year just for fun but am wondering if rebuilding will fix some of the shaking an vibration issues. Thanks. I love this tractor and don't desire to sell it. Overall it's in extremely nice condition.

/ Ford 4000 engine question. Help! #2  
If it is a diesel it could be the injectors. Run some cleaner through the fuel system. With the hours I would replace them.

/ Ford 4000 engine question. Help! #3  
I have worked on a couple of these, but don't remember if they had a balancer on the front of the engine or not. If there is one I would start by replacing it and see what happens. There could be many things wrong, but I would start with the simple stuff first. Could be bad injector causing one cylinder to fire improperly and throw thing it out of balance. Probably the worst case would be a bent crank shaft. If you have been running it since 04 and not grenaded it yet I would not suspect that though. Good luck.

/ Ford 4000 engine question. Help!
Thanks for the info guys. I plan to work on it this winter so this gives me some good starting points. I really love this tractor and will never sell it. My long term plan is to completely restore it one day but for now just looking to get her running like it should.

/ Ford 4000 engine question. Help! #5  
I'd run a very heavy dose of power service or stanadyne thru it.. like at least double if not more, for the next 2 tanks and see what it does.

also.. if you have biodiesel in your area.. might add some of that to the mix..

soundguy