Ford 3930 shuttle trans

/ Ford 3930 shuttle trans #1  

geneP

Platinum Member
Tractor
Case-International 385, Kubota L5450 w/LA1150A loader
I'm thinking about a '93 model 3930, but it is 4 hours from me. It has the 8x8 trans and am wondering if the forward/reverse shift is synchronized. Is the 8x8 relatively trouble-free?

I see that there is an optional high flow hydraulic system. Can that be verified externally?

Looking on line, I see both ford and New Holland 3930s. I'm looking at TractorData.com and they don't list a New Holland 3930. Is there a discrepancy?

Any cautions about the 3930?

thanks for any advice.

Gene

/ Ford 3930 shuttle trans #2  
The 8x8 has a synchronized F/R shift. But like all F/R synchronizers, if abused it will have a short life. The 8x8 transmission was designed and supplied by Kubota. What you describe as "high flow" can be verified by the presence of a camshaft driven hydraulic pump at the left rear corner of the engine block.

/ Ford 3930 shuttle trans
Thanks, Rick, for the information. When the f/R begins to fail, are the symptoms like a car/truck manual trans and grind into gears? Does it progress into jumping out/not staying in gear?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Gene

/ Ford 3930 shuttle trans #4  
Thanks, Rick, for the information. When the f/R begins to fail, are the symptoms like a car/truck manual trans and grind into gears? Does it progress into jumping out/not staying in gear?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Gene

Yes and yes. You are welcome.

Can you tell if this tractor has the optional pump? I see hard lines running from the top rear of the left side of engine

Attachments

• 3930lft.jpg
    3930lft.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 2,566
   / Ford 3930 shuttle trans #6  
Can you tell if this tractor has the optional pump? I see hard lines running from the top rear of the left side of engine

It does not. The second pump would mount in place of the steel plate visible to the rear of the engine oil filter.

Thanks so much

Gene

/ Ford 3930 shuttle trans #8  
Our 3930 MFWD has the shuttle up to the left of the steering wheel, the linkage can be a little finicky at times. A friend of mine has the shuttle as pictured on his 4630, he likes it much better. It's more direct.

We also have a 2wd 3930 with 8x2 tranny, it's a great little tractor.

They're both Ford/NH

What does it have for hours?

He said he bought it new. The tach stopped working a while ago at 2900 hrs. He had already bought new tractors, but he said he has used it "some" since the meter broke. He's firm at $6500.

/ Ford 3930 shuttle trans #10  
That's actually a pretty good deal, it's looks to be in good shape for the year. If that's the ball park for hours, it should have a lot of life left in it. I'd say it's worth a look if that tractor would fit the bill for what you want to do with it. What are you going to use it for?

Tires are going to need replacing in the foreseeable future, but that depends on what your using it for too.