Ford 3910 Solenoid click, no start

/ Ford 3910 Solenoid click, no start #1  

srsnitch

Tractor
Ford 3910
Looking for some help on my 3910. I bought a used machine that started and ran but now the starter clicks and won't turn over. Is there a relay of fuse before the Starter that will prevent the starter from turning over?? I appreciate the help. It's a Diesel Unit.

/ Ford 3910 Solenoid click, no start #2  
Put a test light on the outgoing lug of the solenoid. When it clicks, power should be diverted to the motor.

/ Ford 3910 Solenoid click, no start #3  
If the engine won't turn over you may have a voltage problem Start by cleaning the battery terminals and the connectors that attach to them. Tighten them securely. Track the ground wire to its attachment point on the frame. Make sure that's a clean, solid connection. Use care to check for corrosion inside your battery cable connectors, too. Measure the battery voltage as it sits. It should be about 12.6 volts. Have somebody activate the starter and watch your battery voltage. It should drop a bit but not more than a volt or two. If that looks good put the voltmeter on the starter terminal and see how much voltage the starter is getting.

/ Ford 3910 Solenoid click, no start #4  
When you turn the key to start, it closes a circuit which allows the power to go from the battery direct to the starter. The starter than turns and starts the engine. Put a test light on the cable that goes from the solenoid to the starter and turn the key to start. There should be voltage. if not, take the solenoid off and bang it on something hard a few times and try again. old solenoids sometimes rust inside and get stuck. if the starter is getting power and does not turn over-get a new one or take it to a starter/generator repair place to have it checked.

/ Ford 3910 Solenoid click, no start #5  
Could be weak battery too. Load test the battery to be sure.

/ Ford 3910 Solenoid click, no start #6  
Looking for some help on my 3910. I bought a used machine that started and ran but now the starter clicks and won't turn over. Is there a relay of fuse before the Starter that will prevent the starter from turning over?? I appreciate the help. It's a Diesel Unit.
How long between those two times? Hours, days, weeks, longer? Did it start and run fine yesterday, but not today? Or has it been sitting for a while?

What things have you tried or checked?

/ Ford 3910 Solenoid click, no start
How long between those two times? Hours, days, weeks, longer? Did it start and run fine yesterday, but not today? Or has it been sitting for a while?

What things have you tried or checked?
It was parked for a week in between. The key had been left on in the first position. Battery recharged to 12.6V. Started solenoid clicks like the safety Neutral switch is no engaging properly. I am wondering if the Voltage regulator needs replacing. Battery to Starter shows voltage to the starter but no crank.

/ Ford 3910 Solenoid click, no start #8  
If it has the solenoid sitting on top of the starter, that's probably the culprit. There are two copper bolts that make the circuit for battery voltage and they often erode just enough that the plunger won't make a good connection. They should be square head and can be carefully tapped out of the bakelite housing and rotated 180 degrees so the good half is making contact.

/ Ford 3910 Solenoid click, no start
If it has the solenoid sitting on top of the starter, that's probably the culprit. There are two copper bolts that make the circuit for battery voltage and they often erode just enough that the plunger won't make a good connection. They should be square head and can be carefully tapped out of the bakelite housing and rotated 180 degrees so the good half is making contact.
I have a new starter installed and the conditions are the same... Click, Click no start. Im looking for a picture or diagram for the Alternator... Mine appears to not have any wires attached.

Last edited:
   / Ford 3910 Solenoid click, no start #10  
yea get back to basic's, voltage regulator's and alternator's do not prevent engines from starting. google voltage drop test, and learn how to do it, also make sure you can turn the engine over by hand and that its not locked up