Oil & Fuel Ford 3000 Carb replacement Holley to Zwnith

/ Ford 3000 Carb replacement Holley to Zwnith #1  

robertdawber

Tractor
Ford 3000 Satoh 650g
I am looking for a couple of points of help:
Do you need to use the inlet at the front of the carb or can you remove one of the small bolts on the sides and use that, sealing the front?
Any settings I need to be aware of?
I put it in and I keep popping the spark plug wires
Thanks for the help

/ Ford 3000 Carb replacement Holley to Zwnith #2  
I'm not sure what you are asking about on the carb.
I have replaced several Holleys with a Zenith and they were a direct replacement with no glitches or modifications required. None.
Popping the spark plug boots off has nothing to do with your carb.
That is caused by your spark plugs not being tight and leaking.

/ Ford 3000 Carb replacement Holley to Zwnith
I'm not sure what you are asking about on the carb.
I have replaced several Holleys with a Zenith and they were a direct replacement with no glitches or modifications required. None.
Popping the spark plug boots off has nothing to do with your carb.
That is caused by your spark plugs not being tight and leaking.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the time.
On the zenith carb, the inlet is on the front. On the Holley, it is on the back side. My question about that is--can I swith the zenith inlet and use the side.
The spark plugs are a mystery. Nothing was changed and they are all the way in.

/ Ford 3000 Carb replacement Holley to Zwnith #4  
What threw me off was the front and back. I would have said inside or outside. Now I think I understand.
The Zenith has a threaded port where the fuel goes into the float bowl on both sides of the carb.
Just plug the outside one and hook your fuel line to the inside one.
As for the spark plug boots, mix a little bit of dish soap and water and pour about a tablespoon down alongside the spark plug.
Then start the tractor.
Bet you'll be making lots of bubbles in very short order.
How old are your plugs? And have you ever got down in those deep holes and cleaned the crud out of them?
I took a 1" fitting brush and cut the handle off then put it in my drill and cleaned that deep hole out good. Blow the hole and cylinder out with compressed air when you are done.
Then torque a new plug to specs. Book says 26-30 ft/lbs

/ Ford 3000 Carb replacement Holley to Zwnith
What threw me off was the front and back. I would have said inside or outside. Now I think I understand.
The Zenith has a threaded port where the fuel goes into the float bowl on both sides of the carb.
Just plug the outside one and hook your fuel line to the inside one.
As for the spark plug boots, mix a little bit of dish soap and water and pour about a tablespoon down alongside the spark plug.
Then start the tractor.
Bet you'll be making lots of bubbles in very short order.
How old are your plugs? And have you ever got down in those deep holes and cleaned the crud out of them?
I took a 1" fitting brush and cut the handle off then put it in my drill and cleaned that deep hole out good. Blow the hole and cylinder out with compressed air when you are done.
Then torque a new plug to specs. Book says 26-30 ft/lbs

Great advice. Thank you. I did notice that the rod from the carb to the governor now appears to be too short.