Ford 2110 sulphar smell

/ Ford 2110 sulphar smell #1  

double hunter

Gold Member
Tractor
Ford 1715
I was running my new to me 2110 this weekend and have put about 10 hours on it since I got it, , started getting a sulphar or rotten egg smell after running it about an hour or so this morning, never had this happen before and I have a 1910 that I have put 2,000 hrs on, is this the fuel or something else.

/ Ford 2110 sulphar smell #2  
hydrogen sulfide
can be in the fuel or oil, you can have two vehicles both same oil and fuel and one can smell and one wont do to a number of reasons.

most likely wont smell when cold
too rich when hot can contribute, will probably smell when throttled back to idle

/ Ford 2110 sulphar smell #3  
Rotten egg smell? I’d say the battery is bad.

/ Ford 2110 sulphar smell #4  
I've got experience with this problem, go for fuel or oil.

------------------------

I was driving behind a camry and the exhaust fuming coming out were so strong and stinky. There were no other cars. I had the AC in my Prius on recirculate.
Why would a Camry be so stinky?

It could be possible that the catalytic converter was interacting with motor fuel with a high sulfer content and putting out hydrogen sulfide, ie, a rotten egg smell.
Or it could be one of a bunch of others things wrong with a paricular auto in need of service or repair.

---------------------

Of course, a new gasoline powered car can really reek too if something goes wrong. If it happens to run rich, say an O2 problem, the catalytic converter will give off a nauseating rotten egg smell.

--------------------

I am not sure how but my car passed gas. If anyone had been in the car with me there is nothing they could have said to convince me it wasn't them. Since I was alone and I still have control of my bowels, I know it was the car. It was really bad and just about parted my hair down the middle. It lingered about 15-20 minutes and then was gone. I am in sales and usually have clients in my car. I REALLY can't afford for this to happen with a car full of people. I can see them giving me that "Do you need to go home and change?" look right now. Has anyone else had this experience? Any ideas what the problem could be? I am feeding it regular gas.

The only other explanation might be the emission suppression system; I have been near cars that were emitting hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg smell). But usually they do that all the time and it's a sign that something is not right with the car. And I think that was a hazard of a particular generation of cars; I would be surprised if any modern cars ever do that any more.

---------------------------

Several other webs sites (chemistry, environmental, and auto sites) state that using a higher octane that recommended can cause extra stress on emmissions systems. It may result in a rotten egg smell from the exhaust.

------------------------------

The smell of rotten eggs can be normal with diesel engines since diesel fuel contains sulfur. If you are using a lower-quality diesel fuel it could contain more sulfur and give off this smell. Another cause for the rotten egg smell is a faulty catalytic converter if your truck has one

---------------------------------

The overheating of the battery is making it convert the sulphuric acid into Hydrogen sulfide. Hydrogen sulfide is the main reason that is making your battery smell like rotten eggs. It is a very dangerous gas that can have harmful effects on human health.

--------------------------------

Last edited:
   / Ford 2110 sulphar smell #5  
The smell of rotten eggs can be normal with diesel engines since diesel fuel contains sulfur. If you are using a lower-quality diesel fuel it could contain more sulfur and give off this smell. Another cause for the rotten egg smell is a faulty catalytic converter if your truck has one
Not correct here in the USA. You can only purchase ULSD (Ultra low sulfur diesel) today. The tiny amount it does contain, your smeller would never detect it.

Sounds to me like your voltage regulator is charging the starting battery excessively and cause it to gas off which is what you smell, not the diesel exhaust,

I suggest you service the charging system before you boil your battery dry and destroy it.

/ Ford 2110 sulphar smell #6  
ulsd is only for autos and over the road, can still be in off road or heating oil if that is being used.

"on-road" (15 ppm) and the "off-road" (500 ppm) diesel fuel
i find it hard to believe you would smell the battery in the open air, but whatever
I had a car that did this, smell was so faint you looked around to see if it was coming from across a hayfield or the nearby cemetary, car was never the suspect, this was the ONLY place it created the smell when we stopped to open the electric gates after having climbed an elevation for one mile. There was nowhere else we stopped the car end exited it that was not level ground and non hard driving (eg parking lots)
We finally figured out the weird smell was from the exhaust after running hard up an incline and immediately jumping out, the smell only lasted a few seconds.

I suggest you feel the battery, is it hot ?
Is the air intake clogged restricted, air filter, causing it to run rich at load ?

Last edited:
   / Ford 2110 sulphar smell #7  
this is a 9 year old thread...

/ Ford 2110 sulphar smell #8  
Maybe he farted and smelled that..... :p

Hopefully, he not only figured out what the stink was but learned to spell the word correctly... Sulfur

Last edited:
   / Ford 2110 sulphar smell #9  
Age of thread is irrelevant, the next person seeking info is getting more info than was here, thats the value added proposition of forums