Oil & Fuel Ford 1715 Lots of smoke

/ Ford 1715 Lots of smoke #11  
How is the amount of fuel delivery adjusted for each cylinder in the Ford pump you have?

Here is a photo of Kubota pump where fuel injection amount is adjusted by slight rotation of the delivery valves (see the oval hold down screw holes).
I think it requires a Diesel injection shop to calibrate the volumes once these have been moved.

View attachment 668676

Exactly. The initial determination that these pumps have no adjustment was incorrect. Conventional wisdom that major injection pump work is not a DIY effort is valid. The pump will have to go out for calibration.

/ Ford 1715 Lots of smoke #12  
Diesel Kiki made the PFR3 injection pumps for Ford 1710 and probably also for 1715 but the OP can easily verify that?

Here is a photo of Diesel Kiki PFR 3 Cylinder injection pump showing exactly the same type of injection volume adjustments as the pump in my Kubota V1305

Diesel Kiki III.jpg

These can be found rebuilt on the eBay for $570

/ Ford 1715 Lots of smoke #13  
thepumpguysc will probably come along here soon. You can send the pump to him and he will calibrate it and ship it back to you.

A far better option than an anonymous eBay seller and probably at a fraction of the cost.

/ Ford 1715 Lots of smoke
Well, You guys are correct. It is a Kiki pump, exactly like the Kubota. I was curious about the rotation of the individual cylinders once I saw that they had elongated holes and could rotate. I made witness marks and tried to put them back where they were originally, but it's entirely possible I got them slightly off.

I verified today that I'm not missing a cylinder. Loosening the lines one at a time while engine was running caused a drop in engine power, with the center cylinder causing the most drastic drop. I also noted that fuel volume was much higher under pressure than the other 2 cylinders, so it's definitely pump calibration.

Thanks all for the help.

/ Ford 1715 Lots of smoke #15  
Pm answered..
Trying not to be snarky but..
There痴 a reason there痴 a billion dollar industry rebuilding injection pumps..

/ Ford 1715 Lots of smoke #16  
thepumpguysc will probably come along here soon. You can send the pump to him and he will calibrate it and ship it back to you.

A far better option than an anonymous eBay seller and probably at a fraction of the cost.

Yes I agree 100% - sorry was not aware there is a member like that :embarrassed:
Found on the introduction page!

Good to know for future since I have several Diesels, including a car & pickup.

/ Ford 1715 Lots of smoke #17  
One easy check to see which engine cylinder is stumbling when cold is to mark each exhaust pipe or port with a grease pencil or crayon when the engine is cold then start it and see which wax marking is the last to melt. Then go from there.

/ Ford 1715 Lots of smoke #18  
Yes I agree 100% - sorry was not aware there is a member like that :embarrassed:
Found on the introduction page!

Good to know for future since I have several Diesels, including a car & pickup.

Thepumpguysc is a fantastic resource on here, really knows his stuff! He rebuilt my injector pump out of my international dump truck, after helping me diagnose exactly what was wrong. Tested all my injectors too. Walked me through every step from diagnosing, to removal, to reinstall and re-priming. Runs like a top now.