Oil & Fuel Ford 1715 Lots of smoke

/ Ford 1715 Lots of smoke #1  

BrentD

Silver Member
So per my other thread from a couple of weeks ago, our Ford 1715 had fuel filling up the crankcase while it was sitting, not running. Figured out that it was o-rings in the injection pump. I know injection pump rebuilds are not normally considered DIY, but I found drawings and service manuals that showed essentially no adjustments in the 1715 injection pump if I just replaced the copper seals and o-rings. I bought the parts, and the special 5-lobe socket and replaced the 4 seals, one pump cylinder at a time so nothing would get crossed over. We put it all back together and drained about 3 gallons of diesel/oil mix from the crankcase. We refilled the oil and changed the filter, bled all the lines, and it started up fine. Just seems to me that it's maybe only running on only 2 cylinders, and blowing a LOT of smoke. I don't think there's really anything I could have messed up with the pump, so I figure it's just something that needs adjustment. Any ideas? Video of it running in attached link.

2;)829_19423.mp4 - Google Drive

/ Ford 1715 Lots of smoke #2  
Looks like a bad injector to me.

/ Ford 1715 Lots of smoke #3  
Might be worth getting it running and slacken one fuel pipe at a time. At least if its one cylinder, you`ll have an idea which one.

/ Ford 1715 Lots of smoke #5  
can you loosen the line to each injector , crank and verify that fuel is getting up to the injector? if fuel is not atomized thru the injector it has a hard time to ignite. if you open and out back the pump then removing the injector and inspecting it and cleanning it might not be a bad idea. You might be able to buy an injector to test and would have one stand by after a repair.

/ Ford 1715 Lots of smoke
I did that. Cranked the tractor with all 3 lines loose then tightened down once fuel was squirting out of the fitting.

/ Ford 1715 Lots of smoke #7  
I did that. Cranked the tractor with all 3 lines loose then tightened down once fuel was squirting out of the fitting.

If you scan figure out which cylinder where you are missing combustion then maybe you can remove that injector and have a shop check the spray pattern with a hand pump.

/ Ford 1715 Lots of smoke #8  
This might sound daft, but is there a chance you got two pipes crossed.

/ Ford 1715 Lots of smoke
No, the pipes are rigid and bolted together as a unit. Each end can only connect one place. More likely I got a piece of debris somewhere clogging something up.

/ Ford 1715 Lots of smoke #10  
.........................zip..................I found drawings and service manuals that showed essentially no adjustments in the 1715 injection pump................................zip......................22829_19423.mp4 - Google Drive

How is the amount of fuel delivery adjusted for each cylinder in the Ford pump you have?

Here is a photo of Kubota pump where fuel injection amount is adjusted by slight rotation of the delivery valves (see the oval hold down screw holes).
I think it requires a Diesel injection shop to calibrate the volumes once these have been moved.

Your pump may have a different design?

Kubota pump delivery valves.jpg