Ford 1710 Idiot Lights

/ Ford 1710 Idiot Lights #1  

SuperChief

Tractor
Ford 1710, 8N, 600
I keep forgetting to turn off the key when I shut off my diesel. I want to add a 'buzzer' when the engine shuts off and the idiot lights come on. Probably an LED light but would a 12v buzzer go off when the lights come on and which side if positive if LED?. Trying to save battery, etc, Thanx.

/ Ford 1710 Idiot Lights #2  
Probably the simplest way would be to run 12v + to a buzzer (tap into any wire that is hot when the ignition switch is on) then run the negative wire of the buzzer to the oil pressure sender. When there is no oil pressure the sender unit will ground the the negative wire from the buzzer and it will buzz. So if you use the fuel cutoff to stop the engine with the key ON, after a couple of seconds the pressure will drop to zero, the pressure switch will complete the buzzer circuit and it will buzz.

Make sure the buzzer is very low current draw, I have no idea what current the oil pressure switch is rated for.

I guess another advantage would be that it will serve as an oil pressure warning buzzer should oil pressure drop while the engine is running. Bear in mind it will be continually buzzing whenever the key is ON, and the engine is not running.

I recently replaced all my warning light bulbs with direct replacement LED bulbs, much brighter, so I'm much more likely to notice they are still on when I shut off the tractor with the fuel switch.

/ Ford 1710 Idiot Lights
Thank you for the 'work smarter, not harder' response, that makes a better idea. What direct replacement LED bulbs or generic two wire bulbs? I heard removing the fuel tank is an easy way to get to the dash, what did you do to get to the bulbs? Again, thanx for this wealth of info..

/ Ford 1710 Idiot Lights #4  
I used these from Amazon Amazon.com: Partsam 1pcs Ba9s 6K White LED Bulb Instrument Panel Gauge Cluster Replacement Lamp Kit 1815 1895 Bulbs 12V: Automotive

I had to shave down the tops of the idiot light sockets ever so slightly to get them to fit in and make contact properly. I pulled the idiot light panel and cleaned the bulb contacts, actually disassembled the harness plug too and cleaned the blades, used some anti-oxidation grease on them, put it all back together and they all worked.

Any similar LED bulb would work, long as it has the same base .... take note with the LED bulbs above the problem was that little white plastic ring right at the top of the metal case ... if you could find the same base type, same wattage but with a different design that didn't have that, it might go easier.

I can't attest to how long they will last out in the weather, but they are working so far ... made the swap about 2 months ago.

/ Ford 1710 Idiot Lights #5  
I owned a 1710 for 15 yrs with 3000 + hrs ,with operators manual and service manual. Push throttle lever to slow and tun off with key. I don't understand how you can shut down motor without using the key, unless throttle/idle position is out of adjustment,or some other problem. I wouldn't cut / splice my wiring harness untill I looked at a manual to see what if any problems could be resolved . Just my opinion. I traded 1710 4 years ago or I would look in manual. Good luck on all your projects

/ Ford 1710 Idiot Lights
Sorry I am new(77) to the 1710...I was thinking of my old diesels. But, this is what my manual says. (underline is my edit):
STOPPING THE ENGINE (pg 15)
Push the hand throttle fully forward past idle position
to stop the engine, then turn the key
switch, Figure 20, to the "Off"
position.
I M PORTANT: Failure to turn the key switch
to the "Off" position after the engine stops will
allow the warning lights to remain on , causing the
battery to discharge.

Last edited:
   / Ford 1710 Idiot Lights #7  
LOL, my pop bought the 1710 about 1999, fixed a few things on it over the years,hydraulic pump,water pump,4 wd parts . Tractor was always like that,push throttle to idle and use key to shut off,it never would shut motor off with throttle pushed all the way to stop. It never gave problem doing this ,so we never messed with it. If it ain't broke ,don't fix it. Maybe we should have read the manual,sorry if I seemed like I was in the know . Fix it like you need to cause I'm sure if ours was like that ,me and pop would have had a lot of trips with a battery charger. Ours was a 1984 model. Good luck with your fix.

/ Ford 1710 Idiot Lights
Thanx for the reply, my old 800 diesel had a lot of JB weld around the injectors etc., and 'duck tape and baling wire' now it sits as a yard ornament. The 8N is a project daily in itself. I bought the 1710 to mow the old pasture and pond area that is now a 'weed farm' and it has turf tires that I wish were AG tires, but cheap is cheap for us old retirees. I just thank the Lord he lets me piddle with them. Thanx for your kind reply, I too was not trying to be a smart butt. Lots of good info on here and I don't want to alienate any one.

/ Ford 1710 Idiot Lights #9  
I was going by my 1995 1715 .... will idle all day with the throttle as low as it will go and the key off ... it's shut off by pulling the fuel stop knob. (as per the user manual)

Sounds like on your 1710 they incorporated the fuel shut off valve into fuel control (throttle lever). But same principle, the engine is stopped by cutting off the fuel, not by turning off the ignition (since it doesn't really have an ignition being a diesel :) )

/ Ford 1710 Idiot Lights
I was going by my 1995 1715 .... will idle all day with the throttle as low as it will go and the key off ... it's shut off by pulling the fuel stop knob. (as per the user manual)

Sounds like on your 1710 they incorporated the fuel shut off valve into fuel control (throttle lever). But same principle, the engine is stopped by cutting off the fuel, not by turning off the ignition (since it doesn't really have an ignition being a diesel :) )

:thumbsup: