Buying Advice ford 1700 with FEL and 4 WD

/ ford 1700 with FEL and 4 WD #1  

jsmith4806

Tractor
none yet
Looking at a Ford 1700 with FEL, 4WD, 5 ft ford bush hog and 5 ft blade. Guy wants $4,000, which doesn't seem too bad. Hr meter broke, but he claims it probably has about 4000 hrs on it. Used for 20 years to mow 80 acres 3-4 times per year.

maintenance has been lacking; when I checked the oil, it was down a quart, the gear box on the hog was loose, and the hydraulic hoses are cracking. The FEL seems great (very little use), and hydraulics seems strong. Doesn't smoke when running, but hard to start, and idles rough for a minute or two after starting.

Transmission seems OK, works in all ranges, and the 4WD works as far as I can tell.

Need some advice about what else to check, if price is in line, etc. The tinwork is a little rough, and there is some rust here and there, but not too concerning. I plan to use for keeping weeds down on a property we own (about 5-6 acres of weeds), and for plowing driveway in winter, etc. Other than that, it'll essentially just be a big expensive wheel barrow to carry stuff around and haul firewood, etc.

Thanks for any help! Jim

/ ford 1700 with FEL and 4 WD #2  
The price sounded right...until you finished describing the machine. 4000 hrs is really getting up there for most compact tractors, especially one with lacking maintenance. I would anticipate an engine overhaul soon. If the clutch hasn't been replaced, it will surely need it as well...heck, even if it has been replaced before, it could need it again w/ 4000 hrs. on the tractor. The 17XX series tractors are good, dependable machines but if it were my money, I would look for something with less hours. Bush hogging 80 acres 3-4 times a year w/ a 25 hp tractor...WOW, I'm impressed but surely all the good has been gotten from this particular machine from that kind of use.

/ ford 1700 with FEL and 4 WD #3  
Ive never heard of 4000 hrs on a compact. The JD dealer told me once that the compacts start needin parts @ about 2000 hrs. That Fords got like 200k miles on it, in car terms. 80 acres 3-4 times a year, thats alot of seat time. For $4000, I would stay clear of it. At least he is honest.

/ ford 1700 with FEL and 4 WD #4  
The price sounded right...until you finished describing the machine. 4000 hrs is really getting up there for most compact tractors, especially one with lacking maintenance. I would anticipate an engine overhaul soon. If the clutch hasn't been replaced, it will surely need it as well...heck, even if it has been replaced before, it could need it again w/ 4000 hrs. on the tractor. The 17XX series tractors are good, dependable machines but if it were my money, I would look for something with less hours. Bush hogging 80 acres 3-4 times a year w/ a 25 hp tractor...WOW, I'm impressed but surely all the good has been gotten from this particular machine from that kind of use.

price is good but the hrs are too much for a 2 cylinder engine. I saw one 1700 that had 3700 hrs on it, looked rough but ran well. You'll probably have an engine overhaul in it's near future.

JC,

/ ford 1700 with FEL and 4 WD #5  
Gear box on hog was loose? Chances are, thats not worth $100? No value on that, costs a pretty penny to rebuild it, at least thats what i tell him. Discount whatever value he thinks it has.