Oil & Fuel Ford 1700 oil question

/ Ford 1700 oil question #1  

geozeitl

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 1700
Good morning l sure hope everyone is doing well, l own a Ford 1700 that takes 15w40 shell Rotella, that's what the previous owner did also. Would it hurt to use Shell 10w30 synthetic blend instead just to help with starting in cooler weather. Tractor haS about 3000 hrs but was rebuilt with 2000 hrs

/ Ford 1700 oil question #2  
The change in oil type won't hurt a thing assuming that the Shell synthetic blend oil is rated for diesel.

/ Ford 1700 oil question #3  
I use 5w30 Castrol LL03 diesel oil from the local VW dealership in my tractor and generator engines. In future, I'll see if I can find 0w30 M1 ESP for less than what they charge me. It would be even better.

I once owned a VW Cabrio with hydraulic lifters. Apparently one of them would drain its oil down a little when shut down. Every startup would produce a hydraulic valve knock that they produce when empty unless I used 0w30 (don't think 0w20 was available back then). Even 5w30 produced a couple knocks. The oil pump just picks the oil up quicker the lower that 1st #. All oil is thicker than that last # on startup, no matter what the first # is.

10w30 is probably not much more than bar and chain oil with a few additives, about what the old plain 30w was.

Ralph

/ Ford 1700 oil question #4  
You can use this oil..Delo 400 XSP SAE 5W-40 its about 19.00 at wally world....