Ford 1700 Gearshift Lever Seals (Not Boots)

/ Ford 1700 Gearshift Lever Seals (Not Boots) #1  

toukow

Silver Member
Tractor
2019 Kioti CK2610HST, Ford 1700 (Gone)
I was going to replace the springs on the shift levers, so was looking at the parts diagram below from Messicks. I noticed the part #47 shown as a seal. I've had hydraulic fluid issues with this tractor so figured what the heck, I'd do those at the same time. So I was surprised that when I took off the shift cover, removed the first lever, and found there was no seal whatsoever.

I looked at Ford shop manual and it's not shown, which is why I infer everyone mentions the importance of the shift lever boots. Must have been a subsequent upgrade? Anyway, they fit under the spring and seal against the bottom of the cover plate. Can't hurt and only $6 a pop. Just thought I'd mention it. Toukow
P1070337.JPGMessics exploded.JPG

/ Ford 1700 Gearshift Lever Seals (Not Boots) #2  
Mine Has that seal #47 by inspection , did not take the spring off to see the seal in person though. The fat rubber O-Ring can also be called and act as a seal as well.

JC,

/ Ford 1700 Gearshift Lever Seals (Not Boots)
Mine Has that seal #47 by inspection , did not take the spring off to see the seal in person though. The fat rubber O-Ring can also be called and act as a seal as well.

JC,

Your previous posting was very helpful to me when doing this, but it does not show the seal I'm referencing. When I looked at your photos, I inferred I would find the seal upon disassembly, which was not the case. You can see in your photos that the spring lays directly against the underside of the steel cover, and it doesn't with the seal #47 in place. You would definitely see it in the photos you show if it were present. I'm not sure what 'fat rubber O-Ring' you are referencing, as I do not see any in the exploded parts view. Thanks, Toukow

/ Ford 1700 Gearshift Lever Seals (Not Boots) #4  
#47 looks like a fat rubber o-ring to me... And JC's doesnt seem to have them.
Jim

/ Ford 1700 Gearshift Lever Seals (Not Boots)
#47 looks like a fat rubber o-ring to me... And JC's doesnt seem to have them.
Jim

Now I see how that conclusion could be drawn from the first photo. Here's another view of the seal better showing its cross-sectional shape.

P1070335-004.JPG

/ Ford 1700 Gearshift Lever Seals (Not Boots) #6  
I'm sure mine is like your mostly. I do not need to do any further disassembly, The only reason I took my cover was to look detent balls, Shift boss's, sliding gears and shifting fork. Had no clue any moisture entering the transmission from shift boots.

JC,