Traction Ford 1700 4wd BROKEN FRONT AXLE

/ Ford 1700 4wd BROKEN FRONT AXLE #11  
How much are you talking? I need at least one, maybe two axles.

adamjt...looks like around $500 ea.....see my reply to "square 1" this thread.

/ Ford 1700 4wd BROKEN FRONT AXLE #12  
adamjt...looks like around $500 ea.....see my reply to "square 1" this thread.

May be interested if there doing the press and weld to the hub. Was hoping to get a kit to upgrade for $1500, but looks like they jumped since i last looked to 2500 or so. Used the bucket to drag the tractor to the backyard at least.

/ Ford 1700 4wd BROKEN FRONT AXLE #13  
May be interested if there doing the press and weld to the hub. Was hoping to get a kit to upgrade for $1500, but looks like they jumped since i last looked to 2500 or so. Used the bucket to drag the tractor to the backyard at least.

I had a similar experience with my tractor. Searched for a month and only found one dealer willing to sell a used front axle assy. of unknown condition for $1100. OEM upgrade kits going for around $2400 per side. The last known price of the axle alone was $1000. Two more weeks invested in finding a reputable machine shop that can properly machine the splines and heat-treat. I finally found a big production shop that will take it on....these guys are good and they have done this before, but need to make several to get the price down. They will be of superior quality to the originals.
I'm having two made for my tractor and it looks like 3 more people are interested, so I've taken the plunge and ordered a batch. They should be ready in a couple weeks. I'm not sure yet about the cost of pressing and welding the axle to the stub, but it should be relatively inexpensive. I'll know more soon, stay in touch.
Randy

/ Ford 1700 4wd BROKEN FRONT AXLE #14  
Update on the axles.....they have been machined and are now off to the heat treating plant. Expect two more weeks.....longer than I expected but it's progress. Stay tuned.
Randy

/ Ford 1700 4wd BROKEN FRONT AXLE #15  
Gi'day from the Valley
My tractor has been parked since last October with a broken right front axle. I have done a pile of research on fixing versed new parts. Some machine shops won't touch it others have said they think they can repair it?
If it was just the new hub to replace that would be around $1700 plus the seals bearings and gasket. Now I'm told they sell the complete retrofit pre-assembled but didn't care to share the price and just didn't know?
The tractor is a 1979 Ford 1700 4wheel drive diesel with power steering.
The part is a SBA326310521
It's a sweet little tractor and I really need to get it back working. Can anyone out there help. Thank you Gary

/ Ford 1700 4wd BROKEN FRONT AXLE #16  
Gary, I'm in the process of having some of these axle shafts made..they are being heat treated now and should be ready in a week or two. I expect the price to be around $500 each. I'll post all the details here when they are ready.
Randy

/ Ford 1700 4wd BROKEN FRONT AXLE #17  
Hi Randy
Thanks for getting back to me so quick. I have a decision to make whether to buy your wheel axle or have a machine shop do the fix? The machinist wants me to meet with him tomorrow to discuss his remedy and the cost. I will make my decision after I hear what he has to say.
Thanks Gary

/ Ford 1700 4wd BROKEN FRONT AXLE #18  
I'm happy to report that the axle replacements are done and ready to ship. They are beautiful! I have already installed one in our tractor and all is well. Here are the details: 9310 alloy steel....aircraft grade, carburized and hardened to RC 58-62 to a depth of .020-.025. This is a vastly superior material to the originals. Radiused fillets have been machined at the stress points where breakage typically occurs, unlike the originals. Your original wheel flange will need to be bored slightly smaller than the axle stub, then heated to for a shrink fit. The new shaft will protrude 3/8 through the flange where it will be welded. Our local machinist charged $100 for this job and I can provide the same. You may want to have this done locally to save time and shipping though. I can provide detailed specs on sizes, etc.
We had to get a small batch of these done in order to get the cost down, so supply is limited to 18. A few are already spoken for, so if you want one or two I suggest you join the queue promptly. Price will be $500 for the axle, $100 for fitting to your flange. Shipping will vary but will be at your cost. I've attached some images.
RandyView attachment 431413View attachment 431414View attachment 431415:)

/ Ford 1700 4wd BROKEN FRONT AXLE #19  
There seems to be a problem for some of you opening the attachments in my last post. I'll try again. Also I put up a quickie website with more information here: Home
Randy

Attachments

• 9310 steel properties.JPG
    9310 steel properties.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 294
  • AxleImagesAndText.jpg
    AxleImagesAndText.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 721
  • F1700axleDrg02.jpg
    F1700axleDrg02.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 434
   / Ford 1700 4wd BROKEN FRONT AXLE #20  
I had some replacement axles made when mine broke. I had to get a batch done to get the price down and have some left. They are on a website at Home also on eBay.
Randy

hi guys

Broke my front LH axle the other day, was wondering if any one has had any luck having one repaired or fabricated by a machine shop. I have searched all over at salvage yards with no luck. Any Help would be appreciated

thanks Bill