Oil & Fuel Ford 1520 HST Hydraulic Fluid Change

/ Ford 1520 HST Hydraulic Fluid Change #1  

Alcoamike

Tractor
Ford 1520 w/FEL, Honda 700-4. Turf Tiger Diesel
I have a question and believe that I know the answer. I'd just like help confirming. After owning my tractor for 6 years, I finally decided to change out the hydro fluid/filters myself. Prior to that, I had the dealer do it every other year and I handled the engine oil/filter and fuel filter yearly myself. I have the operators manual and it was pretty straight forward. The two rear axle housing plugs poured out hydraulic fluid and worked as I anticipated. However, I did not predict the 1st plug (transmission) would be bone dry. When I don't see fluid coming out a plug that I expect to see fluid, it is concerning. I ran the tractor hard (w/4WD) with a bush hog to get it all warmed up prior to the fluid change and did not notice anything wrong.

I called the local NH dollar and he said it's supposed to be dry for that model/set-up. Maybe a dry clutch? The transmission plug is to release any water build up and the cotter pin allows the cavity to breath. The operator's manual never mentioned or even hinted at the lack of fluid in the transmission. Kind of makes sense, because the clutch doesn't play as big a role in a HST set-up. Is this correct?

On a side note, this tractor is a great piece of equipment. It's done everything that I've asked it to do.

Thanks,

/ Ford 1520 HST Hydraulic Fluid Change #2  
If the plug has a cotter pin thru to vent I would say your dealer has it right a vented plug wouldn't work real good ina liquid filledsump.

/ Ford 1520 HST Hydraulic Fluid Change
Thx. The cotter pin is in a second hole that is about three inches from the transmission drain plug. It was not intuitive the hole for the cotter pin and the transmission plug were the same cavity. Maybe it should be, but I'm still learning about tractor hydraulics.

/ Ford 1520 HST Hydraulic Fluid Change
I do have 4WD. Where is the drop box? I changed the fluid in the front axle via the axle plug and the two plugs at the bottom of the steering knuckles. I think they are called final reduction gears in the manual. Is there another one that I missed? Thanks for the help.

/ Ford 1520 HST Hydraulic Fluid Change #6  
Ahh, my bad. The intermediate frame size NH CUTs don’t have that configuration. Sorry.