Traction Ford 1510 4 wheel drive will not engage

/ Ford 1510 4 wheel drive will not engage #1  

runnscrd01

Tractor
Ford 1510
I just purchased a Ford 1510 with 4 wheel drive. I have all the manuals and have read through most of them. When I pull the 4 wheel drive lever to the right side under seat, it feels like it engages the 4 wheel drive but the rear tires spin when loader is under load and the front tires do not drive/spin. I tried what other stated to allow the tractor to drift slightly while engaging the clutch and pulling the 4 wheel drive lever. My question is, where can I start to easily look to see if the lever is actually engaging anything? What will I see if I remove the cover plate where the lever is located? Any help is appreciated.

/ Ford 1510 4 wheel drive will not engage #2  
If it's like our 1500 then you should see the end of the lever move 1.5-2" when engaged. There's a noticeable "catch" when you've got it.

Ours definitely has trouble engaging sometimes, usually putting one of the shift levers in neutral with the clutch out then re-clutching seems to help.

/ Ford 1510 4 wheel drive will not engage
Thanks I do not feel the catch and it's moving what you say about 2 inches. I Will try your maneuver of re- clutching.

I got the tractor torn down and the front pinion assembly is stripped. The part number in the book is SBA322050590 and it comes as the pinion assy. We called the local dealer and it isn't available new anymore and they searched new old stock across the dealer network with no luck. We checked some local parts refurb tractor shops and no one has it available. Does anyone know where it may be available or does someone know of a decent machine shop that can reproduce the gears?

Any help will be appreciated. I am stuck with a great running tractor and non-working 4 wheel drive....

Thanks!!

/ Ford 1510 4 wheel drive will not engage #5  
Have you tried the tractor graveyards? Wegners and Kentucky tractor? Sorry to hear about your 1510, I’m going through mine right now.

WENGER'S OF MYERSTOWN 800.451.5240
WESTERN KENTUCKY TRACTOR 270.462.2191

Thanks Asymair95 - I have a call into Wenger's and they are looking into their inventory but didn't seem to have much hope. Wenger's is actually only about 45 minutes from my house. I didn't know about Western Kentucky so I will check them out. I also have a dealer looking into it with New Holland too. I hope I can get the parts and get it fixed as the rest of the tractor is in great shape. Good luck with yours!

Does anyone know of a machine shop that could reproduce the pinion and ring assembly? I thought I read on a post somewhere that someone was able to have one machined but I can't find the site anymore.

/ Ford 1510 4 wheel drive will not engage #8  
It takes specialized machines to make hypoid gears and most machine shops won't have them. Best to find at salvage yard.

Thanks! I understand but I have been unable to find a source for the assembly. I have tried a number of salvage yards with no luck. Seems this is an issue with the 1510 models and most of them are taken.

/ Ford 1510 4 wheel drive will not engage #10  
I’m wondering if a 1710 front end would fit under there, the tractors are very similar. Maybe some of the parts would interchange too. Not happy about the 4wd being a problem with these, I just got mine and now I’m worried about the front assist going South. Was curious if you know how yours broke? Were you doing heavy ground engaging type work? Just trying to figure out activities I should be careful with.