Ford 1500 with Shibaura 2 cyl - how to find TDC for cylinder 2?

/ Ford 1500 with Shibaura 2 cyl - how to find TDC for cylinder 2? #1  

yert33

Tractor
1979 Ford 1500
Trying to adjust valve clearance (lash). Service manual says to adjust when cylinder is at TDC on compression stroke. How do I determine when cylinder 2 is at TDC? Would that be 180 degrees from TDC on cylinder 1?

/ Ford 1500 with Shibaura 2 cyl - how to find TDC for cylinder 2? #2  
If you have the valve cover off watch the rocker arms. When neither is attempting to open a valve you're about there. Go for the point when the rockers are furthest from the valves and set your lash. That's how I do it with a four cylinder engine and it seems to work for me.

/ Ford 1500 with Shibaura 2 cyl - how to find TDC for cylinder 2? #3  
I look at the rockers also and adjust when a given valve is in the middle of the flat spot travel on the cam. As you turn the crank, it becomes readily apparent when a given lifter/valve is going over a "flat" or non eccentric part of the cam -just to rotate to be in the center of that and adjust.
For low rpm diesels there is almost no overlap in the cam; so you can frequently get away with adjusting the exhaust when the intake is at its fullest open point, then adjusting the intake when the exhaust is at the fullest open point for a given cylinder.

/ Ford 1500 with Shibaura 2 cyl - how to find TDC for cylinder 2?
Thanks to you both. I ended up doing what you suggested: watching the rockers while turning the crank pulley. What still puzzles me is that when I estimated I was at TDC on cyl 2 the mark on the crank pulley was at the cyl 1 TDC... oh well, it started and seems to run better than before. The lash was WAY off (loose) before.

/ Ford 1500 with Shibaura 2 cyl - how to find TDC for cylinder 2? #6  
Did you remember to add oil into the pump.??

/ Ford 1500 with Shibaura 2 cyl - how to find TDC for cylinder 2? #7  
Possibly relevant: Yanmar calls the cylinder nearest the flywheel 'Cylinder 1'. (Apparently because their primary business is boat engines).

Could this also be the case with your Shibaura?

/ Ford 1500 with Shibaura 2 cyl - how to find TDC for cylinder 2?
Did you remember to add oil into the pump.??
Thank you. No, I didn't know to do that. What prompted you to advise me to to do that? Something you heard on the video?

/ Ford 1500 with Shibaura 2 cyl - how to find TDC for cylinder 2? #9  
Cuz nobody does it.. lol
I’ve been rebuilding inj pumps for a living for 35+ years..
It’s the hex nut on top of the pump.. NOT the one with the adjusting screw.. the plain hex.. probably a 17mm..
1/2 qt of whatever u put in the engine is good..

/ Ford 1500 with Shibaura 2 cyl - how to find TDC for cylinder 2? #10  
After u add oil, stop and go do something else.. smoke a cigarette..
The oil has to make it thru 2 sets of bearings before it lubes everything.. it takes a few minutes..