Ford 1210 vs Ford 1700

/ Ford 1210 vs Ford 1700 #1  

Hexa Fox

Silver Member
Tractor
Wishing
Hey guys,

So this community has been awesome so far and things are getting more complicated. As some of you may know my neighbor just gifted me an old 2WD Ford 1210 and I am deciding what to do with it. Well my neighbor just got gifted a Ford 1700 that he is not sure that he wants. He has at least six attachments with it and the tractor is in his garage right now. He let me hear it run and it sounds good. I have not looked into it much but he said I am welcome to inspect the tractor whenever I want. He said he has looked up the value of the tractor at he is at around $3,000. I think this estimate is a little low for a tractor like this especially if he is willing to give up the implements as well. He said he would have to really think about it but he does not see the need for the tractor right now.

Anyway I was checking out the specifications of these tractors today. It looks like the 1700 is in another league from the 1210. So just from looking at it, the 1210 does not seem like it would make a good parts tractor for the 1700. However, is it possible the Ford 1210 could run a lot of the implements he has for the 1700? So if I was doing a less than 'clean' job maybe it could be a job for the 1210? Also I have some interest in people buying the Ford 1210 that was gifted to me. So I could always sell it and put that money towards the 1700. Just for the record, as expected the Ford 1210 sat for awhile and is in need of some work. Also I thought for sure he had a FEL with this tractor but he does not, which is a huge bummer. As always I would love to hear your guys thoughts.

EDIT:
Here is the tractor data for someone that cares or wants a refresher.

Last edited:
   / Ford 1210 vs Ford 1700 #2  
IMO the 1210 is a toy next to the 1700. 1700 is an actual cat 1 tractor rated for 4x more rear lift and weighing in at 1000 lbs more. It will be able to do a lot more useful work. Plus you get attachments that are presumably correctly sized for the 1700. Parts are going to be rough for either one.

/ Ford 1210 vs Ford 1700
IMO the 1210 is a toy next to the 1700. 1700 is an actual cat 1 tractor rated for 4x more rear lift and weighing in at 1000 lbs more. It will be able to do a lot more useful work. Plus you get attachments that are presumably correctly sized for the 1700. Parts are going to be rough for either one.
Yeah I have been figuring that out from people and experience with the 1210 now. Don't you think the Ford 1700 (if in decent shape) is worth a lot more than $3,000 especially if I can get the implements too? At the very least I could resale it later for what I purchased it for, maybe even a profit. Again the guy said it is something he has not decided to sell just yet and I have not decided to buy it either. Just seems like an awesome deal. Also I would love to have a nice little tractor to peddle around with. I have never owned an actual diesel tractor with a real PTO with 3 point.

/ Ford 1210 vs Ford 1700 #4  
My brother owns a Ford 1700 and I own a Ford 1600 which was directly before the 1700. It's a very handy size tractor that can do a lot of work, and they sip diesel. About the only application where I would choose the 1210 is if you mowed in tight areas.

/ Ford 1210 vs Ford 1700
My brother owns a Ford 1700 and I own a Ford 1600 which was directly before the 1700. It's a very handy size tractor that can do a lot of work, and they sip diesel. About the only application where I would choose the 1210 is if you mowed in tight areas.

They did not look that much different when it comes to size but that could totally be just me. Here is a picture he sent me of the tractor recently. If this thing had a FEL on it I would be instantaneously interested. Another user (cannot remember id) recommended by a tractor with a FEL if I wanted one. I already pretty much knew that was good advice. They are hard to locate and seem to go for more than people want for the actual tractor when you find them.

I was looking around on this site and trying to find a compatibility chart here or elsewhere to see if I could find something to go on this tractor easily. This one also looks to be a 2WD but cannot tell from the picture myself.

Attachments

• Image (1).jpeg
    Image (1).jpeg
    335.4 KB · Views: 58
   / Ford 1210 vs Ford 1700 #6  
If you just need a loader primarily to pick and place things, one can get a lot done with a 3point boom

/ Ford 1210 vs Ford 1700
If you just need a loader primarily to pick and place things, one can get a lot done with a 3point boom
Yeah, I think a rotary broom is honestly one of the most under rated attachments period. Having this in mind, I really need a FEL. I do a lot of debris removal, firewood processing on my property and a lot of other stuff that could just really use one for.

I was reading and it looks like a tractor of this size does a lot better with 4WD, especially when using something like a FEL. I cannot tell but I suspect this one to be a 2WD model. I might have to go check it out again when he is available.

/ Ford 1210 vs Ford 1700 #8  
I also have a 1710 which has 4wd and yes it's nice with a loader. That said, it's awful to mow with. These tractors are very front heavy with a loader, so I have to put it in 4wd to mow, where the 2wd 1600 (or 1700) would climb right up the hill. The loader also really cuts down on maneuverability, and even shifted into 2wd,you will not turn as sharp as a 2wd tractor. I agree that a boom pole on a 2wd tractor can do a surprising amount of work.

/ Ford 1210 vs Ford 1700 #9  
Oh one more thing, the 4wd 1700 was infamous for snapping front wheel shafts. I'd be cautious if I came across one.

/ Ford 1210 vs Ford 1700 #10  
Yeah, I think a rotary broom is honestly one of the most under rated attachments period. Having this in mind, I really need a FEL. I do a lot of debris removal, firewood processing on my property and a lot of other stuff that could just really use one for.

I was reading and it looks like a tractor of this size does a lot better with 4WD, especially when using something like a FEL. I cannot tell but I suspect this one to be a 2WD model. I might have to go check it out again when he is available.
I was meaning a boom which is basically a small crane on your 3pt:
1678548306756.png