Ford 1210 tear down and repair

/ Ford 1210 tear down and repair
Success! Was able to drag our dirt road some more today to remove washboard and pot holes. The 1210 did great with the extra two weights on the front and using some differential braking on the turns. The front end tried to slide a tiny bit a time or two, but the inside brake brought her right around. Some pics from today.

IMG_1241.JPG

IMG_1242.JPG

IMG_1243.JPG

This drag does a great job for what it is. I can't move dirt with it or bring the crown back to the road, but it is great at taking out washboard.

/ Ford 1210 tear down and repair #142  
Great to hear!

Also found that loosening the fan belt reduced the leakage around the front main seal. It didn't stop it, but I can live with the few drops after an hour of heavy use.

Question about landscape rake. Will this tractor pull a 5' rake? I hope it will, because the 4' ones look cheaply made.

/ Ford 1210 tear down and repair #144  
Looking sharp! I wish our 1500 looked half as nice as that.

Out with the old in with the new. Finally got around to replacing the voltage regulator. No more voltage drop when I turn on the lights. The new one is a solid state unit too, no points and solenoid in this one.

IMG_1248.JPG

I moved her down to the basement for the Winter so we could park the car in the garage. The Mrs is a keeper for letting me do this. Need to build a shop/storage shed in the Spring, but that will be another thread :)

IMG_1249.JPG

Found some wheel weights to fit this tractor finally. After the first few passes with the box blade it became evident I was in desperate need of traction.

The weights are made by new state and the part number is 3154-1 they are 61lbs each and stackable. New Holland has some kind of shipping deal with them, so you can get them from your dealer for reasonable shipping. The weights were $70 each.

Last edited:
   / Ford 1210 tear down and repair #147  
Your 1210 looks new! Fine job indeed. I have a 1710 and a 1600, both have been incredible tractors. 100% with the wheel weights, they really transform the Fords.

Thank you. I'm hoping the weights will help with the traction issues. Wasn't sure how many I needed, so I got four. Six seemed like overkill. I priced having the tires filled with calcium and it was around $100 for one tire, which is all I needed done since one tire already is filled. Getting weights was cheaper.

I'll be pulling a 4' box blade, and 5' rake.

IMG_1342.JPG

IMG_1343.JPG

/ Ford 1210 tear down and repair #149  
Thank you. I'm hoping the weights will help with the traction issues. Wasn't sure how many I needed, so I got four. Six seemed like overkill. I priced having the tires filled with calcium and it was around $100 for one tire, which is all I needed done since one tire already is filled. Getting weights was cheaper.

I'll be pulling a 4' box blade, and 5' rake.

View attachment 497750

View attachment 497751

Good choice!
Do NOT EVER fill your tires with CaCl!!!
If you add any liquid for weight, use windshield washer fluid (cheap), or "beet juice" (best - but expensive).

/ Ford 1210 tear down and repair #150  
I would suggest to either fill the empty tire, or empty the loaded tire. I cant imagine the difference is good for the differential.