Ford 1210 tear down and repair

/ Ford 1210 tear down and repair
Good news, bad news.

First the good news, got the fenders installed and all the wiring done.

IMG_1155.JPG

IMG_1153.JPG

The bad news is the water pump is defective and now leaking. Guess that's what I get for buying the cheapest pump I could find on eBay.

Here is a shot of where the water pump is leaking from. There is a 1/8" hole on top of the pump that is not threaded or anything. The first sign of trouble was some kind of chunky substance squishing out that looked like dried silicone. Soon after there was coolant dripping out. It doesn't pour out, just kind of drips. I have a paper towel stuffed in the hole at the moment to prevent a mess. Anybody know what this hole is for? Can I just drill and tap it and install a pipe plug?

IMG_1156.JPG

/ Ford 1210 tear down and repair #113  
That's a weep hole to allow coolant to have a path out of the casting that doesn't spray it on the belts.

The seal is bad, plugging the hole will just cause the bearing to fail faster.

Ok, that is what I thought it was.

So got the bad pump pulled.

IMG_1157.JPG

Had a nice conversation with the seller of the remanufactured pump. He called me today to lecture me about the nerve I had trying to return the pump since it was over 30 days since the purchase. I told him I just got around to installing it and he said that is "Immaterial" plus I didn't return the core. He said he was going to fix the pump, even though he shouldn't have to. I just let the guy talk because he wouldn't let me get a word in edgewise. Just a heads up, don't buy from this guy on eBay, not worth the headache.

/ Ford 1210 tear down and repair #115  
Any updates?

/ Ford 1210 tear down and repair #116  
I was wondering the same thing.

Sorry guys, still waiting for the water pump to be returned. This guy was a real peach. He said if I mailed both pumps back to him he would rebuild one and mail it back within a day, that was a week ago...lol. I think he is going to try and charge me again too, but I won't pay. I think I'll just call Messicks like I should have to begin with. I hate dealing with crooked people, I seem to attract them like flys.

/ Ford 1210 tear down and repair #118  
Hang in there and get 'er done. You are almost there.

Will be getting back to work on this soon. Got the pump back and will be installing it.

Great news! The new pump is installed and working as advertised. Hope I don't jinx myself by saying that...lol.

IMG_1223.JPG

IMG_1225.JPG

It went pretty smooth and the test drive was fine. She started right up after some glow plug love. It is cold here today, maybe 35 or so.

Next I had my Father in-law help me mount the hood. She looks really nice now.

IMG_1227.JPG

Still working in the garage, so will post some more progress latter.