Ford 1210 tear down and repair

/ Ford 1210 tear down and repair
Got the seals changed in the injector pump fittings tonight.

The lines and Pistons removed. Some corrosion in here, so must have been water in the fuel at some point.

image.jpeg

The inside of the pump. Two of the injectors were finger tight. It ran though, so I guess it wasn't leaking too bad.

image.jpeg

I tried to remove the injectors to inspect/clean them and replace the sealing washer, but couldn't get them off. There is a steel return line running between the injectors and I couldn't figure out how to take it off without bending/breaking the line. Does anyone know how to remove these without breaking anything?

Hood is all cleaned down and masked off.

image.jpeg

/ Ford 1210 tear down and repair #73  
Looks good. I looked last night for a hazard switch. I found an instrument panel but no switch. Will look again when I have time.

Thanks sld. If not I will just bite the bullet and get a new one from Messicks. They must be gold plated or something though, kinda pricey.

Did the final rust removal and cleaning of the frame today. All that is left is masking, and paint. I had to clean the hydro cooler fins with a oil dipstick to get the lacked in grease and dirt out from between the fins. I then used a condenser cleaner on it to really pull the grime out. Worked great, might do the radiator next.

image.jpeg

Here is a shot of the injectors. You can see the steel leak off lines between the injectors that are preventing me from removing them. Anyone know how to pull the injectors on this thing without bending the leak off lines?

image.jpeg

/ Ford 1210 tear down and repair #76  
Looks like they are a banjo-bolt arrangement, pinched in place by the injectors but not threaded. Just going by what it looks like. There would be crush washers or o rings top and bottom.
Jim

/ Ford 1210 tear down and repair #77  
I think Jimmy is right. When I removed the ones from the parts tractor a few years ago I don't remember any drama. They came right out.

Ok thanks guys, that is what I thought. It just seemed like whenever I tried to turn the top nut, the banjo would try and turn with it and bend the line. I had one wrench on the top nut, one on the bottom, and I guess I need to grow a third hand to put pliers on the banjo or something. Thinking I may just leave it alone. Don't know if there is much to be gained by messing with it.

Today I am doing final preps on the frame for paint. Got everything masked and cleaned with a tooth brush and such. Now all I need is a few days of good weather. They are forcasting rain here for the next three days, bummer.

Starter rebuild day! She was cranking pretty slow, even after we installed a new battery. I know it may have been a bad ground or something, but I figured while it's out might as well go through it.

The victim of mice infestation. I dumped all the seeds and mice rice out first.

image.jpeg

Solenoid removed.

image.jpeg

Bearing cover removed. This also keeps the brush block aligned.

image.jpeg

The end cap and bushing removed.

image.jpeg

The whole assembly just slides apart after that.

image.jpeg

A good shot of the brushes, which were in good shape. I'm glad, because if I had to replace them I don't know if I could get the parts.

image.jpeg

At this point I spent an hour just cleaning everything and removing rust and mouse feces. I lubed up the splined starter gear and both end bushings. Used some tv tuner cleaner on the armature with a 3M pad, worked good.

image.jpeg

Once everything was smooth and silky I put it back together in reverse order. The brushes were the hardest part, needed four hands to slip them back over the armature.

image.jpeg

I wanted to paint it and make it pretty, but was afraid of interrupting a ground. So she is going to stay cleaned, but not painted.