? for winch engineer

/ ? for winch engineer #1  

chopped

Veteran Member
I was wondering , in this video.YouTube - 1 Redneck snow plow fix.avi
if a second 'snatch' block would make an even more powerful pull for this plow? Or if the cable were hooked furter out on the ploaw frameit would work better.
I assume with each snatch block added it slow the pull down also?
Just curious ..:D

/ ? for winch engineer #2  
I was wondering , in this video.YouTube - 1 Redneck snow plow fix.avi
if a second 'snatch' block would make an even more powerful pull for this plow?

-Yes or no, depending on how they are hitched up.

Or if the cable were hooked furter out on the ploaw frameit would work better.

90 degrees to the load will give max lift, anything else reduces lift.

I assume with each snatch block added it slow the pull down also?

Yes.

/ ? for winch engineer #3  
Adding a snatch block to an electric winch does not necessarily 1/2 the speed. For example if a 2000 lb winch pulls at 5 ft per minute at 2000 lb load, yet will pull at 10ft per minute at 1000 lb load. So you add a snatch block and now that 2000 lb load looks like a 1000 lb load. Same speed of lift, 1/2 the work and probably less then 1/2 the amps. Note that in the video he uses a 1,500 lb winch, Jeep guys know that rating is on the last wrap of cable. In the video with 5 feet of cable out, that 1500 lb winch is like about a 500 lb winch. He needs both a pully and to shorten the cable to about 10ft long and it will work much better.

/ ? for winch engineer #4  
Baby Grand;2259643 90 degrees to the load will give max lift said:
Maybe I'm not understanding this correctly, but I believe on a snowplow generally, the further out from the plow attachment point the lift chain or cable is attached, the more lifting power you'll have, but less lift height and vise versa, the closer it's attached the more height but less lifting force.

/ ? for winch engineer
Adding a snatch block to an electric winch does not necessarily 1/2 the speed. For example if a 2000 lb winch pulls at 5 ft per minute at 2000 lb load, yet will pull at 10ft per minute at 1000 lb load. So you add a snatch block and now that 2000 lb load looks like a 1000 lb load. Same speed of lift, 1/2 the work and probably less then 1/2 the amps. Note that in the video he uses a 1,500 lb winch, Jeep guys know that rating is on the last wrap of cable. In the video with 5 feet of cable out, that 1500 lb winch is like about a 500 lb winch. He needs both a pully and to shorten the cable to about 10ft long and it will work much better.

So considering that the total 'run' of the cable is going to be short, He could cut the cable back so there is no 'excess' on the drum and efectively increase the pull rating?
And also the more cable around the drum the less pull but faster speed?

/ ? for winch engineer #6  
Baby Grand;2259643 90 degrees to the load will give max lift said:
Maybe I'm not understanding this correctly, but I believe on a snowplow generally, the further out from the plow attachment point the lift chain or cable is attached, the more lifting power you'll have, but less lift height and vise versa, the closer it's attached the more height but less lifting force.

Maybe it's me that doesn't understand. As you move the attachment point out, you gain leverage, but if you depart from a 90 degree attachment angle, you will lose leverage. Just moving the attachment out isn't enough with a cable - you need to optimize the direction that the cable pulls. Closer to 90 degrees is better. Maybe move the winch forward, too?

/ ? for winch engineer #7  
Moving the attachment point of the cable closer to the bulk of the load will reduce the effective weight. The angle relative to the winch is not as critical as the the length of the lever between the attachment point and the weight. This is because he is lifting between the bulk of the weight and the pivot point. The closer to the pivot, the greater force will be required.

This is different that simply lifting or pulling a weight.

/ ? for winch engineer #8  
So considering that the total 'run' of the cable is going to be short, He could cut the cable back so there is no 'excess' on the drum and efectively increase the pull rating?
And also the more cable around the drum the less pull but faster speed?

Yes and yes. Not specifically more cable, but additional rows of cable. He still needs a pully block. A 1500 lb winch ($39) will not lift 1500 lbs vertically. It might pull 1500 lbs horizontal on dirt? So it would be maxed out lifting a 500 lb snow plow, even with one wrap of cable on the drum. Okay for a ATV plow.

I would also be concerned about traveling at any speed with that small winch cable. Two things will occur. The internal brake on the winch will likely slip each time you hit a bump and the plow pops up and then down again. Second, a good bump may overload the strengh of the line. I would have a chain with locking clasps attached for travel.

Snowbear light weight plows use winches. Not sure what the winch specs or saftey features are.

/ ? for winch engineer #10  
I've never actually found an internal brake on those small winches, just a planetary gear set. I've use an 8000lb Ramsey to do the same job and found it worked great, still used a built in pulley down at the A frame (to cut the speed down)