? for Bird

/ ? for Bird #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
Hello Bird,

I understand that you tinker on air powered tools? If so, I have a question...

I bought a "closeout" special Campbell Hausfield compressor from my favorite Home Depot for something like $200. It came with their basic little tools....impact wrench, hammer, etc...It isn't the fancy type compressor, just one of the cheapies, but has done wonderful for what I need.

I have been tinkering in yard excavating for patio. Long story short, have found the hammer with "chisel" attachment to be a wonderful help busting through some of the crap I have to deal with far more useful than using a pick, shovel or any other. Problem is, the chisel attachment is flat and maybe 3/4 to 1 inch wide. (makes for lots of chiseling) /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Do "they" make an attachment like that that is more like 4 inches wide? 6 inches? More like a spade?

So far I can't find anything like that locally. I just get blank stares.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Richard

/ ? for Bird #2  
Richard, I'm afraid I can't help you. There are a lot of specialized tools around, so I can't say I'd be surprised to see something like that, but I don't know where you could find one. The air hammers (chisels) usually just have the 4 to 6 piece sets like you've seen at Home Depot. The biggest I have is 1".

Incidentally, I do get a lot of those air hammers to "fix" and 90% of the time, nothing's broken. It's usually just that the cylinder has vibrated loose and someone tried to tighten it back with the internal parts improperly aligned. I'd say the air hammers are the simplest tools to work on that I get.

Bird

/ ? for Bird #3  
Just an idea but you could take one of the chisels to the weld shop and have them add to the blade.
Gordon

/ ? for Bird #4  
I've been thinking about that myself. Hopefully a professional welder could weld something on that would be hard and strong enough that the air hammer wouldn't break it. Don't forget to wear eye protection anyway. I checked my catalog and it has 18 different "bits" or tools for the air hammer, but except for the tie rod end and ball joint separators, the widest chisel is 1 1/8".

Bird

/ ? for Bird #5  
I believe the widest chisel I have for my air hammer is about one inch wide. I've got an electric Hilti hammer drill a TE72 and the widest flat bit I have for that is 6 inches now that is one tough rascal.
Always wear eye protection !!!! Very cheap insurance is a good pair of safty glasses can't be overstressed.
A welder with high tensile rod should be able to do a number on that bit for the airhammer to make it wider.
Gordon

/ ? for Bird #6  
Richard,
I do work for a company that makes resins, and they have an air hammer that is long ( about the leingth of a broom) with a 4" chisel on the end , they use it to remove the hardened resin from the concrete floors . I believe it is a Chicago Pneumatic brand don't no about their website. You might try a search

Steve

/ ? for Bird #7  
stvman, there's just one small problem with that./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif Chicago Pneumatic certainly makes those big ones (and I've even repaired a couple of them), but those air hammers are expensive, the little Campbell Hausfeld is a nice little compressor for the price but won't put out enough volume for big tools, and the chisels they use are too large a diameter to fit the small hand held air hammers.

Bird

/ ? for Bird
All,
Thanks all for responses, Bird confirmed one item I suspected to be true, to find one with wider head would probably mean bigger socket size and wouldn't fit the little hammer. Oh well, otherwise, the simple answers of having something welded went TOTALLY over my head and never occured to me. Soooooo, will make some calls today to welding shops. Even if weld doesn't work and breaks, no problem, I can always buy the little guy again!

Thanks
Richard

/ ? for Bird #9  
Bird ,

I could be wrong but the chisel they use is about 8" (shaft portion) an looks like it fits in a standard hand held air chisel..

/ ? for Bird #10  
stvman, you could very well be right; there's still lots of air tools out there that I've never seen. But there's also some very small differences in sizes on some things that are not even visible (at least to my old eyes) that make a difference if whether it will work or not. I guess the "standard" size diameter of the shaft (if such a thing as a standard size exists) is .401" (how'd they ever come up with a size like that?). I normally only work on "automotive" type tools, but one of our customers is a construction company that has their own shop to maintain their vehicles, so I've fixed a couple of their "chippers" which looks like a cross between a hand held air hammer and a jack hammer (and uses a bigger bit). That's what I had in mind from your previous post (and may be nothing at all like the tool you've seen).

Bird