Food Saver Vacuum Pack

/ Food Saver Vacuum Pack #1  

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
I have one of the Food Saver units; the old-style that sits flat, have had it for about 3 years and has worked pretty well. Keeps everything from freezer burn; we usually freeze a bushel or two of corn every year and it is always great. Last time I used it, it couldn't pull enough vacuum to seal, so I may be ready for a new one. Any suggestions? Is there something better out there?

Thanks,
Dennis

/ Food Saver Vacuum Pack #2  
When i researched them a few years back the Food Savers got the best ratings..

Just a thought - there is a 'drip tray' in the unit.. Make sure its facing the correct way and the rubber gasket is clean.. That may be part of your sealing issue

Brian

/ Food Saver Vacuum Pack #3  
The newer ones have a moist food setting and a catch tray for liquids that might be pulled from the food.

We had one for 8 or 10 years and it got like yours and wouldn't pull a vacuum. The wife called for technical help and wound up ordering a new one about a year ago. It is excellent! We use it for freezing fish, venison, veggies and left overs. It is also great for vacuum sealing clothes for packing, for sealing tools up for storage on the boat, for packing fishing leaders .........

We do like and use our FoodSaver. I suggest contacting FoodSaver directly, we got a good deal compared to Wally World.

/ Food Saver Vacuum Pack #4  
The newer ones have a moist food setting and a catch tray for liquids that might be pulled from the food.

We had one for 8 or 10 years and it got like yours and wouldn't pull a vacuum. The wife called for technical help and wound up ordering a new one about a year ago. It is excellent! We use it for freezing fish, venison, veggies and left overs. It is also great for vacuum sealing clothes for packing, for sealing tools up for storage on the boat, for packing fishing leaders .........

We do like and use our FoodSaver. I suggest contacting FoodSaver directly, we got a good deal compared to Wally World.

We used to use ours a lot. We did find that it tended to draw too much moisture out of meats but we learned to stop short of the machine's full cycle.

/ Food Saver Vacuum Pack #5  
We used to use ours a lot. We did find that it tended to draw too much moisture out of meats but we learned to stop short of the machine's full cycle.

Roll up a piece of paper towel and place it between the meat and the edge before sealing.

/ Food Saver Vacuum Pack

Can you give me the model that you have? Was it expensive?

/ Food Saver Vacuum Pack #8  
We bought a FoodSaver last year. I think it is either a 3800 or 3880. I just looked at the manual and the machine but I can't find a model number which is odd. I can't remember what we paid but I do know we saved money but searching the Internet. Seems like we got 25-30% off and a bunch of bags. Our unit is a vertical one that can seal mason jars which is very handy. We vacuum seal dried food in mason jars at least as much as food for the freezer. Maybe more.

I held off for years buying a vacuum sealer because of the bad reviews but this one had decent reviews. I figure nothing is built to last anymore so it will have to be replaced at some point. The weak point seemed to be the sealing trays that was mentioned previously.

I am pretty sure I ordered directly from FoodSaver. I know I ordered directly from the dehydrator company that we bought last year. If you looked real carefully on the websites you could get better prices than on Amazon, Best Buy, Bed Bath and Beyond, or Cabela's. It does pay to spend some time shopping on the various websites. I don't think we found a coupon for the FoodSaver but it does not hurt to search for one.

A few years ago I was with a bunch of guys and we started talking about buying a gadget. Some people had bought the gadget locally but I found it on Amazon for a price that was much cheaper. One of the guys pulled out his smart phone and started searching for the gadget. He found a coupon and bought the same danged thing even cheaper than I did with the coupon. Three of us had bought the exact same gadget but the guy who looked for a coupon got the best price. I searched for the best price on the Internet but I did not even think to look for a coupon. The other guy did think, found, and got the best price.

The funny thing was this conversation was out in the middle of nowhere and the nearest physical store was a good 30 minutes away.

Later,
Dan

/ Food Saver Vacuum Pack #9  
Bags are the worst part $$$$$. I usually try to by the rolls of them . Mine is 10 to 12 old and still works. I need to call food saver and see if I can get a new gasket.

/ Food Saver Vacuum Pack #10  
I haven't had good luck with the Food Saver brand as far as reliability. Went through 2 of them, then another brand whose name escapes me at the moment, now I am trying a Weston. The vacuum machines had very light use & good care. If the Weston dies, I'm going back to baggies.