Food Plots 101

/ Food Plots 101 #11  
I would suggest that you contact your local NRCS office (USDA Service Center Locator).

The NRCS assists farmers and landowners with soil and water conservation, environmental quality, and wildlife habitat issues. I haven't studied the new Farm Bill, but it may continue cost-sharing assistance from the previous Farm Bill.

Steve

Steve is 1000% right, doing this could save you allot of wasted $$, effort and headache. The AG agent, will give you the common denominators that work in YOUR part of the world. Planting concepts are pretty cut and dried nationwide, just depends on how fancy and expensive you want you want/need to be. What you plan on planting will also make the decision on equipment easier (The AG agent will make the best recommendations for your location).

For instance, I have planted I don't know how may acres in food plots that only needed a disk,drag, and spreader, this is primarily for Oats (a deer favorite ) often mixed with Wheat. Cultipackers work best IMO, for small seeded plants such as clovers that require a very shallow planting depth, but I have also had decent luck planting small seed with a disk and drag ding over seeding.

Also try not to plant seeds that are big, like a bean, combined with small seed like clover at the same time. Planting depth incorrectly, is usually where most fail. plant beans 1st, then top with the smallest seed and pack or drag.

If you really want to spend some $$ and get it all in one "package" look at something like this:
Plotmaster Food Plot Planters Orchard/ Vineyard Erosion Control Wetland Restoration Equipment

They are not cheap, as they have everything on one unit. I just have never been able to justify one with my "means", but if I hired out to do many acres, it would be a nice "write-off"

1st, I'd follow Steve's advice and expect to get a soil sample too(about $20) In fact, you could go ahead and get the sample done, then you could have that info for your "free visit" with the agent. Contact their office and find out the protocols for sending in a sample, or look online for your state AG dept for the information.

What I do, I get a clean 5 gallon bucket, then using a clean digging tool, I dig 6" down in as many places on the plot I can to cover the area. I will then run the dirt through a 1/4, or 1/2"screen into another clean bucket, mix it up and get my sample from that to send to Texas A&M. Really easy and takes out some very important "unknowns".

/ Food Plots 101 #12  
I am in a very similar situation so this discussion has been helpful for me. I appreciate everyone taking the time to contribute.

/ Food Plots 101 #13  
Go to michigan sportsmans forum. Or iowawhitail.com. And search dbltreecorner. He post on each site

/ Food Plots 101 #14  
As others have said go to the Quality Deer Management forum and dbltreecorner. Both have more information on them for you to digest it will take months to absorb. I've been on the QDMA forum for years now and is by hands down the most informative forum on food plots for deer on the internet and dbltree's has the most in depth informative threads you find anywhere.

A couple books worth looking into are Quality Food Plots and Ultimate Food Plots by Ed Spinzola. The first covers everything from plants, equipment, soil basics and so forth. Ed Spinz book is more along the lines of creating a food plot from square one and his techniques that have worked for him on taking an open woodlot to a food plot.

/ Food Plots 101
I am in a very similar situation so this discussion has been helpful for me. I appreciate everyone taking the time to contribute.

Yes. Thanks everyone for the excellent contributions.