Follow up report / rubber tire chains.

/ Follow up report / rubber tire chains. #1  

GrayBeard

Gold Member
Now that I've got some time in the snow with them...
For their purpose of not marking asphalt, they're great.
Level ground and "slight" grade performance they're good.
Steep grade with a snow / a little ice, HANG ON , even with the bucket or rear blower down she's usually going to slide.
I can't say they're a total bust but I did order a set of 2 link ladders . I figured a few "scuffs" on the drive was better than smashing the tractor or getting hurt .
They were on 10-16.5, r4's. If I had a relatively level drive, I would buy them again but maybe my hills are to steep for steel.
We'll see.
GrayBeard

/ Follow up report / rubber tire chains. #2  
You got a URL for these rubber chains? I'm still sorting out my traction issues, and wouldn't mind looking at some other options before I break down and buy expensive chains.

My problems usually occur on level ground.. just get into some snow that's of precisely the wrong consistency, and my R4s just spin. Fortunately we have a couple of young and energetic foster kids we just adopted, who love to shovel snow (go figure!) :) But it's getting old.. plow some snow, get stuck, the kids shovel, get out, plow some more, call the kids, etc. :-/ Like Egon said, I probably should just get chains.

The only reasons I haven't gotten them yet are that 1) they're expensive, 2) they look like a bear to get installed correctly, and 3) my dealer told me they were dangerous and not to use them. It's mostly number 1 and 2. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tks,
Bob

/ Follow up report / rubber tire chains. #3  
One of my chains got hung up on the spring holding a brake shoe in place on my Gravely. Broke the chain and almost took out the spring. Somewhere else someone posted about breaking a brake line on a truck with chains on it. I've doffed the sulky on my Gravely and walk behind it for snow plowing. It works this way with the dual tires. Wouldn't work if I had a steep driveway like I had in NJ. Not even sure a 4wd tractor would have worked on that driveway without chains on.

Anyone make studded tires for tractors? We went to the ice festival in Sapporo, Japan. ALL the cars up there drove around with 4 wheel studded snow tires. Think this would be the way to go for the winter on steep driveways.

Ralph

/ Follow up report / rubber tire chains. #4  
Trev:

Get the chains!!!

Or put on Fel so you can move youself out of those " dug into hard snow traps."

They will not be that hard to install. I think Pete has it down to a science.
Ask the dealer why they are dangerous as around here almost any tractor I see in the woods has chains installed. These would be much heavier than ones you are talking about. Many leave the chains on year round.

Just a word of caution: I have V-bar ladder chains. The cross links are too far apart and result in a very rough ride on hard surfaces. Other chain types will solve this problem.

Egon

/ Follow up report / rubber tire chains. #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Trev:

Get the chains!!!

They will not be that hard to install.)</font>

Okay, Egon.. you win! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I definately need something, and chains seem the obvious way to go. Tirechains.com seems to be the place most people recommend.. ?

Alternatively, I suppose I could call the dealer and see if he can get me a deal on some.. and have him come out and show me the hook-up procedure just so I don't have to go through the learning curve on this. I'll also ask why they feel they are so dangerous. But I think I'm ready to lead a dangerous life rather than get stuck all the time. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bob

/ Follow up report / rubber tire chains. #8  
Trev:

Call Franz; chances are he'll have all kinds of advice.

Egon

/ Follow up report / rubber tire chains. #9  
<font color="blue"> We went to the ice festival in Sapporo, Japan. </font>

Ralph,

I have this vision of the "Natural Gardner" standing in the crowd...in the freezing cold...checking out the ice sculptures and can’t help but wonder:

Where’s he put his hands to keep them warm???? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Follow up report / rubber tire chains. #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Call Franz; chances are he'll have all kinds of advice.)</font>

Good idea! I'm quite sure he will.. although I doubt much of it would be reproducible here. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bob