Flushing Anti-freeze

/ Flushing Anti-freeze #1  

Buckeyeman

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota T2290
I have a B7610 and am due to flush the cooling system. The work shop manual tells you to flush radiator and refill, but nothing about draining the block. I want to flush the block too. Is there a way to do this also? I really don't want to mix old with the new. I bought that Peak Fleet Charge 50/50 anti-freeze cause it said it was for diesel engines.

/ Flushing Anti-freeze #2  
Assuming there is no block drain plut, run the engine until it reaches operating temperature and the thermostat opens. Then turn the engine off and let it sit for 10 minutes or so so the block temperature can equalize with the coolant.

Then remove the radiator cap. Then remove the water hose between the water pump and radiator at the radiator end only and point this end of the hose down. This usually creates a siphon through the block and water pump that will pull most of the coolant out of the block. The thermostat needs to be open to let water from the upper radiator and then air from the upper radiator into the block fast enough to maintain the siphon. If you want to check your job, catch the coolant, measure it, and compare it to the capacity.

Another check is to then refill the system with clean water, run to operating temperature and repeat the above. The water that flushes out this second time should be clear or almost clear.

/ Flushing Anti-freeze #3  
Look low on the block for a pipe plug or a hexagonal plug. I don't know if your model has a block drain. Mine looks like I described here. I also use 50/50 peak. jy

/ Flushing Anti-freeze #4  
Last time I did it in a car, I used a kit that put a T in one of the lines, to which I connected a garden hose. Run water in under pressure and it flushed everything. I don't recall if it was done with the engine running or not, but that would certainly assure the block is flushed.

/ Flushing Anti-freeze #5  
Air-locks are the real problem with block draining . It can be safer to
drain the rad , fill with water, run hot , cool , drain rad and repeat . This gets
alot of the liquid in the block changed out without introducing air into the engine head .
For final fill , just calculate the system volume vs. the concentrate of coolant for replacement .
We're not talkin' endodontics here , the block doesn't have to be clean as a whistle ........

/ Flushing Anti-freeze #6  
To renew your coolant,if it looks good,a simple drain and refill is sufficent.Drain as much as possible,by whatever method and refill with your 50/50 mix you've already purchased.If you flush with water you will need to add full strength coolant at some proportion to achieve your ideal mix of 50/50.Your tractor really only needs the regular green coolant as it's a parent bore engine(no sleeves).That was the factory fill.Now,if your coolant look's nasty,that's another story.Good Luck!