Oil & Fuel Fluid puking out the top of the steering column 4220D

/ Fluid puking out the top of the steering column 4220D #1  

Gpajimbo

Tractor
Yanmar 4220d
Hi all, I have a 4220 D that with the clutch released fluid is pouring out the top of the steering column right under the steering wheel.

1. Should the steering column be full of fluid?
2. if so I would guess that big bushing/seal at the top of the column should be containing the fluid and that is the likely target for replacement?

If not I'm guessing i have a problem lower in the column like the top of the housing...

Thanks!

/ Fluid puking out the top of the steering column 4220D #2  
Check to make sure your hydraulic fluid is not low and foaming.

/ Fluid puking out the top of the steering column 4220D
unfortunately the level is fine. (minus what i lost out of the top) just pure clear fluid pouring out of the top of the steering column.

/ Fluid puking out the top of the steering column 4220D #4  
Power steering, with hydraulic lines going into the steering box?

Yep. Power steering.

/ Fluid puking out the top of the steering column 4220D #6  
You will have something similar to this on my old 2002D with the factory power steering. I was unable to find any drawings or part information on mine. It is a complicated piece of machinery with close tolerances. I matched o-rings and went back with old teflon rings. I was successful but scared the whole way through. Although you can't see it in my picture I think I remember a weep hole on the back side of the steering column. Thinking fluid came out there when the seal failed. Yours must have catastrophically failed if you have fluid coming out at the steering wheel.

Attachments

• 100_7422.JPG
    100_7422.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 151
  • 100_7424.JPG
    100_7424.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 103
  • 100_7428.JPG
    100_7428.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 167
  • 100_7429.JPG
    100_7429.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 183
  • 100_7430.JPG
    100_7430.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 134
Thanks Winston1, not the news i was hoping for on Christmas!
Looking at Hoye, they barely have any parts for it either... I guess i got what i paid for!

oh well, back to the drawing board!

Merry Christmas!

/ Fluid puking out the top of the steering column 4220D #8  
surely hoye or fredricks would have the seals you need to make the repairs. Fredricks imports ,and restores these tractors for resale. I'm sure this is something they have come across in the past

/ Fluid puking out the top of the steering column 4220D #9  
Just a thought - for rebuild of a close-tolerance hydraulic mechanism, maybe an old guy who has been rebuilding all kinds of import automatic transmissions for years could have the intuition and the parts sources to do this job if Hoye/Fredricks can't supply all the seals needed.

/ Fluid puking out the top of the steering column 4220D #10  
FWIW. Had the same problem with a Steering column on a abota...... I think it was B2700? Been 20+yrs..:confused2: When the steering wheel was turned you would get a stream right in the crotch. The owner just had it in the shop and was not in warranty. So he asked me to try and fine the problem which It was no doubt internal. I had to have it and needed the BH. since they was going to start the foundation on my house the next week. I could have tied a rag around the S-Column etc. and gotten by. But I wasn't giving up that easy esp. when the Steering Wheel came right off and a cap that unscrewed off the top of the Column. I was still doing Repairs on pools and was falling behind so I still had a lot of plumbing parts in my truck. Well some rigs. your not proud of but sometimes they work!! And yes IMO. this is one of them!!!! I had freeze plugs the same size as the Column. When I seen that I drilled a whole in it the same Dia. as the Shaft. Slid right in and found a Washer the same Dia. as the Shaft and put it the Column just for extra support. Put the end cap and S-wheel back on and it Fixed that problem and never heard anything more about it!!!

Last edited: