Florescent shop light

/ Florescent shop light #21  
Aren't the t8 and t12 refering to the diameter of the lamp in 1/8" increments. Then you could measure the diameter and figure it out. I not sure on this but seems like what I remember.

ie a t8 lamp is 8/8" and 12 is 12/8" or 1" and 1 1/2"

/ Florescent shop light #22  
I had the same problem with my lights when it got cold. Checked with an old electrician friend. Without hesitation he told me to ground the neutral wire (white) to the frame of the light fixture, worked like a champ.

/ Florescent shop light #23  
Alan:There is a comprehensive article on shop lighting in the February 2002 issue of Fine Woodworking. You may find some useful information there.Jim

/ Florescent shop light #24  
Alan,
Did the shop lights come with prewired cords with plugs on them? Were they three prong plugs? Are your outlets properly grounded three prong outlets? Two wire extension cords and other things will cause these problems.

I had a dual circuline fluorescent fixture that had cold weather starting problems. If I rubbed the tubes with my hand (generating static electricity) they fired up. Once warm they could be cycled off and on OK if not left off too long. Grounding the metal fixture solved the problem.

Good luck and share the results of your quest for light.

Patrick

/ Florescent shop light #25  
patrickg, I agree- it sure made the difference on mine (note previous post). Just don't ask me why. I was living in an older house and had many other grounding issues.

/ Florescent shop light #26  
Alot more expensive but I put 8' high output fixtures in my garage and my shop. My electriction friend recommened them to me.He also said the put out much more light than conventional tubes and work at very low temps.He said it also eliminated all the buzzing!!!And he was right, no anoying buzzing!!The coldest it has been in the shop this year is about 15 deg. and have not had any problem starting them.

/ Florescent shop light #27  
so tell us how much? brand? model number? I have been looking for a recommendation but am afraid of your answer $$$$$.

/ Florescent shop light #28  
rdln,
I don't recall the name of the fixtures or model number but I do remember that they were about $50.Lamps were about $5 each as I recall.I will do some more reasearch and try to find all the details for you

/ Florescent shop light #29  
Re: Fluorescent shop light

Thats good to hear that you were happy with the $50 variety. Home Depot sells metalux at $45 plus lamps. They call them industrial grade but at work here they put in Lithonia @$100 a pop. I think I will by one of each
with matching specs to put on either side of the barn, testing them @ different temps and listen for buzz and try to judge light output. Thanks for the reply.

/ Florescent shop light #30  
There is an inductive "kick" that induces a high voltage surge from the ballast that "ignites", i.e. starts the arc inside the tube. Without a ground the lamp fixture is sorta like a bird on a wire, they don't feel the voltage. You know how when a fluorescent is first turned on it may make a repetitive ping ping sound accompanied by flashes of light in the tube (especially compact flourescents and rapid start, i.e. no-replaceable-starter type ballasts)? Those are high voltage pulses from the ballast to "strike" the arc in the mercury vapor filling the tube.

Often, if you can reach a fluorescent that is having trouble starting (especially if it is due to bad ground and or it is cold) and wipe across it with something to produce static electrticity, i.e. wool, fur, nylon cloth, dry hand, or similar, the static electricity produced by rubbing the dissimilar insulators, e.g. glass envelope and the wool, will ionize the mercury vapor and the light will start right up.

Patrick