Floor stops for tool stand

/ Floor stops for tool stand #1  

downsizingnow48

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B21
I have most everything on tool stands with wheels. I use a block of wood to wedge them off the floor when I need them to stay put. Recently there were some helpful posts on built-in floor stops. Making a tool stand for a thickness planer, which needs to be very stable, I decided to do something a bit fancier than a block of wood. These stops are easy to make and work well. There is a 1/2" nut welded on the bottom of the frame and a short bushing welded on the top. The three pieces (handle, threaded rod, floor mount) are assembled with blue Loctite. The mount rotates and tilts.

Attachments

• stop1.jpg
    stop1.jpg
    368 KB · Views: 347
  • stop2.jpg
    stop2.jpg
    369.3 KB · Views: 344
   / Floor stops for tool stand #2  
I really LIKE those. Nice job.

/ Floor stops for tool stand
First test run, solid as a rock. Glad I decided to upgrade from the block of wood.

Attachments

• planer2.jpg
    planer2.jpg
    678.4 KB · Views: 273
  • planer1.jpg
    planer1.jpg
    662.4 KB · Views: 249
   / Floor stops for tool stand #4  
Looks good. I have a set on my Craftsmen table saw that came with it. Uses a pedal to let the wheels retract.

/ Floor stops for tool stand #5  
Nice clean job. I like the finishing touch of the end caps on the tube.

/ Floor stops for tool stand #6  
That's exactly what I was going to suggest. I put those on all the machines in my shop that have mobile bases and they work great. They hold fast and easily accommodate uneven surfaces.

/ Floor stops for tool stand #7  
Nice clean job. I like the finishing touch of the end caps on the tube.
Are those plastic tubing end caps available on Line somewhere?
Nice finishing touch with out having to weld on a metal cap. I’m assuming they are available in various sizes.

B. John

/ Floor stops for tool stand #9  
Those look great, very nice! Did you source the handle at McMaster-Carr too?