Floor poured in my pole building

/ Floor poured in my pole building #1  

wmonroe

Elite Member
Tractor
1958 Ford 961 Powermaster
After waiting and saving up I was able to get the floor poured in my 40x60 pole barn. It was a week ago today so i'm planning to start filing it up this weekend. Here are a couple pictures.
How long do you normally wait before driving on new concrete? The guy that finished it for me said a week but I'm gonna give it an extra five days.

Attachments

• image-2801655736.jpg
    image-2801655736.jpg
    410.2 KB · Views: 566
  • image-126708148.jpg
    image-126708148.jpg
    418.6 KB · Views: 446
  • image-1953776410.jpg
    image-1953776410.jpg
    455.6 KB · Views: 533
   / Floor poured in my pole building #2  
Nice floor! I would wait long enough to get tired of admiring it. :laughing:

Seems like for lighter stuff, 1-2 weeks should be fine, maybe 2 weeks before tractors or other heavy stuff. That's just my guess.

/ Floor poured in my pole building #3  
That is a sweet looking pole barn !!!! I wish mine would look like this !!

As for your concrete floor, letting dry a few extra day sure won't hurt it.

/ Floor poured in my pole building #4  
If you can keep it damp, it will set up better. Not wet, just damp. We used big rolls of burlap and a lawn sprinkler on new commercial slabs about 2 weeks. Helps to reduce cracking. Expansion joints sawed about 3/4" deep will control cracking also. If you could just spray it 2-3 times a day would help also.

/ Floor poured in my pole building #5  
as Kneedeep said, keep it damp at least for a week afterwards to slow the cure some which makes it harder and less prone to quick drying and cracking under the stress quite as bad. I did this with mine and there are "0" cracks anywhere yet (pour was sept 2011) I waited one day then misted it 2 times with the barn sealed up pretty good. I wetted it down the 2nd morning pretty good and again that night. On the 3rd day I wetted it down and added plastic on top & I kept it wet for the next 2 weeks. Then I pulled the plastic and left it stay moist for a week longer prior to starting to open up the barn on warmer windy days. This stuff has been great to work on. Stain could not penetrate it though & it has been almost chip/dent impervious. The Cut Nails would not even penetrate after the 2nd month. I had to drill & install redhead fasteners and or the Blue Block/Concrete with glue on any plates that I have added since then.

My concrete was ordered as 6000PSI mix with fiber and was done early on a good day. It got warm but was real humid which made the workers sweat pretty bad lol... My place is 50x50 or so inside is 38x50 with a 10' overhang.

shows one of two low spots

video link if it works

Mark

/ Floor poured in my pole building #6  
Usually "good" concrete will reach 75%-85% of its strength within 7 days. So if 4000psi mix was used which is the common practice around here even for commercial jobs, you are usually good to go after a week. The final 15% of its strength with occur within 30-45 days usually. But not all concrete is created equal. There are many things that can effect the strength of the finished product. Water added to the mix to increase slump higher than 3"-4" will adversely effect the strength usually by 300-500 psi for every gallon of water added per yard.
I have worked in the refi mix industry for the last 18 years and make test cylinders almost daily and review the test results after breaking at the lab. My recommendation is if they did not pour it wet a week is all that is needed.

/ Floor poured in my pole building #7  
A good coat of sealer applied after 7 days while the barn is still empty and clean will help prevent stains and make is easier to clean down the road. I forgot that step and now the thought of removing all the "stuff" from my barn seems like too much work. Nice looking floor!

/ Floor poured in my pole building #8  
Nice floor, what did they use for sealer?

Dave

/ Floor poured in my pole building #9  
When you pour drive ways, 6" thick, with wire, 3000# mix (cylinders often brake at 5,000# at 28 day, and very rarely brake under 3000# at 7 days) we have cars driving on them in 24-36 hours. If your going to paint, epoxy coat, or seal the floor do it now, before your stuff is in.

Actually some paints/sealers specc at least 54 day cure before applying.

But regradless, as long as it has wire and is 6", with good compaction underneith, and it was poured at a reasonable slump, your good to drive on it in 48 hours.

/ Floor poured in my pole building
Thanks for the compliments. I was there for the whole pour and there was very little water added so it should cure to the 4000 psi that was ordered. It also has 6 gauge wire mesh and fiber in it. The day they poured was cool (mid 50's) and overcast and so were the next 4 - 5 days, I kept it damp/wet for 5 - 6 days after it was poured so it has been curing slowly. Is there such a thing as it curing too slow? I really want to move stuff in but don't want to rush it, my plan was to move everything in the 13th day, I think that should be enough time.