Ballast Floating Wheel Weights

/ Floating Wheel Weights #1  

Country_Joe

Tractor
Is there such a critter?
Seems to me it would help for center of gravity issues on cab units. Axle extension or wheel bracket, bushings and half moon rear floating wheel weights. That way the weight would always be at and below the axle. Center line of axle best place for proper weight distribution. Comments?

/ Floating Wheel Weights #2  
I think it would be hard to design a weight that would stay at the bottom under all situations ans circimstances. Too many varibles to take into consideration. Mud or dirt might cause them to stick thus causing all the weight to be at the top. At road speed centrifical force will hold it in place. Thats just a couple of examples that could cause problems. I'm sure there are lots more.

Sincerely, Dirt

/ Floating Wheel Weights #3  
Liquid ballast does the same thing and has no safety risks. Granted, it is difficult to remove or modify to suit the application at hand. But folks have lived with this shortcoming for years.
Mike

/ Floating Wheel Weights #4  
I was just about to say filled tires too, but MikeInEburg beat em to it.

/ Floating Wheel Weights #5  
My grand father wouldn't fill his tires over 1/2 way because he said it would raise the center of gravity. most ag tires are filled about 3/4 of the way..
tom

/ Floating Wheel Weights #6  
I have always heard you had to fill tires to above the rim level to prevent rim oxidation. That was when they used calcium. May not be true with other products.