flex fuel vehicle questions

/ flex fuel vehicle questions #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
Got wife a 14 econoline van.. badge on the back says flex fuel.

Up until now, flex fuel to me has meant i can mix kerosene into my diesel tractor fuel tank to prevent gelling. :)

So will this think run on the yellow E85 pumps that are available though hard to find?

Any cautions of running E85 if it will run it. No problem mixing e85 with the normal low-e gas at other places.

I have done SOME reading. seems these things have a fuel mix sensor?

anyway. it's my first flex fuel vehicle.. so asking. anything else has just ben 'gas' or my current diesels.

thanks

/ flex fuel vehicle questions #2  
FWIW (and you may already know it) you will get 15% to 33% less mileage with the e85 so unless it is significantly lower priced than gas you really have no benefits from running it other that it is a renewable energy and has less emissions. You can mix it however you want without an issue, if it is seldom used remember that e 85 will gather more water than gas.

/ flex fuel vehicle questions #3  
Sound Guy.

Back in 2006 I bought a new 2007 5.4 L F150 FX4 Super Crew. My Co-Pilot bought a 2007 Yukon 4X4 the same month. Both were Flex Fuel. We both used normal 87 octane for the first few months and keep immaculate records of fuel economy. I got 15.5 and he got 17 tank to tank. On the highway we both got 18. Anyway, we got our first station with corn fuel about 2 miles from our airport so we both agreed to run it for a month or so. End result is my F150 dropped to 10 and his Yukon got 11. He did a trip to Wichita Kansas and used nothing but Ethanol on the way out and got 12. On the way home he said enough is enough and went back to 87 and got 18 again.

Long story short, unless it's 35% cheaper is a waste of money. Station owners like my uncle love it because people buy it and come back more often to his station meaning more soda, candy, and cigarette sales.

Chris

/ flex fuel vehicle questions #4  
I can count on one hand and have fingers left over how many stations carry E85 and the ones that do have it its too close to 87 octane to make a difference, 87 is the better buy. Now I will say you might see better performance out of e85 but I wouldn't bother with it unless I was doing some heavy towing or hauling, something you might not be doing with her new van. 87 octane is running around 3.08 here right now.

/ flex fuel vehicle questions
we only have 1 station in a 3 city area i know of that carries it. it's near my work at the interstate 75 exit.

And it actually IS decently cheap compaired to 87. It MAY even be 1/3 cheaper. I'll check it monday at work. i know it's a buck cheaper minimum...

thanks for the info guys.

so otherwise. an flex fuel vehicle is gonna be safe.

/ flex fuel vehicle questions #6  
Like said, shouldn't be a problem, just wont get the economy out of it. The PCM will automatically adjust fuel rates and timing for the fuel as its quite a bit different than gasoline. We've had some GM cars where we had to clear the "alcohol concentration" parameter but I think that was fixed with a flash of the PCM programs. No real problems since. You can also buy little test tubes that will show you what's in your current fuel if you're unaware. You mix a set amount of water and fuel and the alcohol separates out, kinda cool chemistry.

/ flex fuel vehicle questions #7  
Just checked my station and E85 crap is $2.99 & 87 is $3.16. What kills me is people buying this stuff think they are saving money.

This will all change when the Ethanol Only engines are produced. They will run 20 to 1 compression ratios or there abouts and make more power than a diesel all while getting excellent mpg.

Diesel is $3.89 for those interested.

/ flex fuel vehicle questions
yall are killing me on gas. In florida where I am. gas and diesel are hovering right around 4$. 87 a few cents under. mid grade and diesel right at it.. premium just a hair over.

3:16 gas.. WOW!

/ flex fuel vehicle questions #9  
yall are killing me on gas. In florida where I am. gas and diesel are hovering right around 4$. 87 a few cents under. mid grade and diesel right at it.. premium just a hair over.

3:16 gas.. WOW!
Its $3.09 here in Hot Springs, about 5 cents per gallon cheaper than that as Sam's club.

/ flex fuel vehicle questions #10  
$2.99 here in Branson for 87 octane
Diesel is $3.47