Fitting towable sicklebar mower to 3 point

/ Fitting towable sicklebar mower to 3 point #1  

ohdannyboy

Tractor
massey furgeson 40
I have a massey ferguson 40 tractor. I bought a towable sickle bar mower. The tractor has a 3 point class 1 system. We put a tow bar across the bottom 2 points. The sicklebar mower lifts the system up in the air since it doesnt have down pressure and the machine is back heavy. The second is the pto shaft does not move back and forth in length and I'm about a foot short. Are towable systems actually used with 3 points or should I have bought a 3 point sickle?

/ Fitting towable sicklebar mower to 3 point #2  
you more likely have a bar that goes between the 2 lower lift arms (were you normally hook up a 3pt hitch implement) this bar normally has holes along the length of it, and then you have a bar going from below the tracotor (under the PTO shaft area) out to the bar that is between the lift arms, these 2 bars combined, can help lock things in. pending on tractor.

you may also need some sort of "stay strap bars" that more likely connects to both lower lift arms, and runs up to were the top link area on back of tractor. these stay straps, holds the lower lift arms from moving up and down on you.

PTO SHAFTS. you normally always buy longer than what you need, and then take measurements and cut the 2 portions of the shaft down, along with the PTO shield portions of the shaft.
if you transfer a implement from one tractor to another tractor, there is a good chance you may also need a different PTO shaft.

/ Fitting towable sicklebar mower to 3 point
The pto shaft shouldn't be an issue. The stay straps are those something common or something we will need to fabricate ourselves. Also would I be better served using a 3 point tow system instead of the bar system and yes it has the holes going across like you said.

/ Fitting towable sicklebar mower to 3 point #4  
Use a 3 point stabilizer/stay strap set up on the 3 point draw bar currently using. It consists of an upper and lower half (2 bars per side) that fasten to the top link bracket of the tractor and over the lower pin on 3 point, then are bolted together. This will hold the 3pt arms in position for a stationary drawbar.

Photo snipped from TSC catalog:
pt stabilizer bars.JPG

Thank you I did see those at farm and home when I was buying the bar. Thanks again

/ Fitting towable sicklebar mower to 3 point #6  
Why not just use the draw bar (the one attached near your rear axle) as you would for most towing? This also puts the mower much closer to your PTO output, so your shaft may work.

I didn't realize you could mount a bar underneath so I looked and sure enough. Thank you