Buying Advice First time tractor buyer - dealer proximity advice

/ First time tractor buyer - dealer proximity advice #1  

Redbeard81

Tractor
Kioti CK2610
Hi All,

I've been lurking these forums for a couple of months while I suffer through analysis paralysis, and after a whole lot of reading (so much good info here!) I've got my heart set on a Kioti CK2610. For the application/specs/price I think it'll be a good fit.

My question is regarding the importance of dealer proximity to my place. There's a dealer 10 miles away that quoted me $20.4k after tax for the tractor, including FEL, 3rd function valve, and filled tires. Unfortunately they're out of inventory and I'm having a hard time getting a real ETA from them.

There's another dealer 90 miles away who quoted me a roughly similar price for an identical setup, and they have one in stock right now. I also don't have a trailer at present; the far dealer is willing to deliver for $250 which didn't seem bad given the distance. If I end up needing warranty work though, I'd have to bother a buddy to haul it to the shop for me and it's quite a distance.

The near dealer keeps making noises about maybe having inventory this month so I'm wondering if I should just be patient since they're basically right up the street.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

/ First time tractor buyer - dealer proximity advice #2  
Maybe ask the local dealer what he thinks. Also check out their service department. Talk to the service managers if they have one.

Also, Welcome to TBN and good luck!

/ First time tractor buyer - dealer proximity advice #3  
Welcome to the TBN forum. Unless your in a real hurry, waiting a month for your local dealer to acquire that tractor for his inventory is just fine. Especially during this time of the year, where cold and wet ground conditions typically limit tractor usage anyway. I also would comment, my local Kioti dealer is 1.5 miles away, and in 3.5 years ownership, have never needed his service on my CK4010. So in my particular case, my local dealer has not been relevant.

For me, I purchased a trailer for hauling my tractor, and anything else I need to move.

/ First time tractor buyer - dealer proximity advice #4  
I can’t add any Kioti relevant advice here but I can confirm the same notion mentioned above. Having bought my Kubota new, it’s never required warranty work. I like the idea of talking with your local dealer about purchasing elsewhere. Can’t hurt. As a consumer they should understand you have a need for a machine and they’re lack of inventory should not be your problem.

/ First time tractor buyer - dealer proximity advice #5  
I can’t add any Kioti relevant advice here but I can confirm the same notion mentioned above. Having bought my Kubota new, it’s never required warranty work. I like the idea of talking with your local dealer about purchasing elsewhere. Can’t hurt. As a consumer they should understand you have a need for a machine and they’re lack of inventory should not be your problem.

^^^ And maybe your nearby dealer could do a swap with the other one. That's how my local dealer got mine quickly a couple of years ago.

/ First time tractor buyer - dealer proximity advice #6  
^^^ And maybe your nearby dealer could do a swap with the other one. That's how my local dealer got mine quickly a couple of years ago.
I was wondering about that! Car dealers swap and share inventory all the time for customer satisfaction on orders. Just assumed it was not done in the tractor world. I took a long backroad "short cut" this summer to avoid some major Interstate construction, and came across a Kioti dealer with lots of tractor inventory on his lot, while my local dealer, who was only 200 miles away, is sold out and waiting on back orders. So I just assumed no communication between dealers regarding inventory.

/ First time tractor buyer - dealer proximity advice #7  
Not familiar with Kioti, how long has dealer been in business.?

In the 70's had JD, CASE and IH (seperate brands back then) within 15 miles. Kubota about 30 miles away.
Now the "local" dealers on opposite end of county about 45 min. drive. Kubota dealer in same location 30 miles away. Kubota/IH in next county about 35 miles away.
If you have a 1st shift factory job, you can get to dealer before closing time.

I prefer to deal with known established brands JD, FORD/NEW HOLLAND, CASE/IH, MASSEY FERGUSON, KUBOTA dealers should have most common repair and maintenance parts in stock.

/ First time tractor buyer - dealer proximity advice #8  
I'm not sure how much dealer distance should concern you.

My dealer is 100-ish miles away, but I haven't seen them since I bought my tractor (a Branson) 3.5 years & 360 hours ago.

I don't yet have a tractor-capable trailer, but about once a year I buy something big at an auction 60 miles away and I fetch it using a flatbed trailer rented from a local yard for a little under $100 (which feels like robbery tbh but it's a ton cheaper than buying a trailer I almost never need); if I need to have my dealer look at the tractor, I'd do the same thing.

/ First time tractor buyer - dealer proximity advice #9  
:welcome: to TBN.

Do little research both dealers maybe knock and talk check out service departments.
Purchase closer to home will save time $$'s in the long run,but most of all go with your gut feelings.

/ First time tractor buyer - dealer proximity advice #10  
I've been with the same dealership for 38+ years. It's a business owned by an old and trusted farming family. I bought my first, brand new, tractor from them in 1982 - Ford 1700 4WD. Twenty seven years later - the dealership had moved from Ford to Kubota. So ..... in 2009 when I wanted a larger tractor - traded the Ford in for a brand new 2009 Kubota M6040. I've needed the dealership once for service on the Kubota. They sent a service technician out to my place( 25 miles ) and did the work here, on site. A hose clamp needed replacing and I didn't have the proper tool.

The current service manager and I get along just dandy. He had his service tech come out and replace this weird-a*sed hose clamp - he and the service tech come out a couple times a year and fish for bass in my lake. Just like the good 'ol days. No money exchanged - just an exchange of favors for service.