First spring skunk

/ First spring skunk #1  

wawajake

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2660 , Kubota RTV X1100C
First spring skunk wandered within eyesight of my dog last night but I managed to keep her from approaching it and dispatched the skunk with the 22 (sorry used some rare 22 ammo smile)
What surprised me, in the country here, was that within 20 minutes one turkey vulture was on the kill and within 15 minutes 6 more arrived. Hopefully they will of cleaned up the carcass so that I don't need to dispose of it. But the stink last night (even though it was 100 yards from the house down wind ) was terrible?any suggestions on what to spray on ground to get rid of smell quicker where kill occurred ?
No rain is in forecast for next few days !

/ First spring skunk #2  
Hydrogen Peroxide. Get it by the gallon at the drug store. I use it on the dog when she gets sprayed.

/ First spring skunk #4  
Well, I've shot many a skunk out this way and never worried about the smell - it will be gone in a day or two. I just load them into the tractor bucket and take them down the driveway to a spot where I know the coyotes will eat them. Besides it isn't really strong until you can "taste" it. Its kind of like tooth paste foaming up in your mouth. The spit in your mouth really foams up. The odor is so strong it actually smells sweet. Now you know its time to make a house call on somebody you don't like really too well.:laughing::laughing::laughing:

/ First spring skunk
Yes even though my garage was all closed up it reeks...........but carcass I removed via ATV and shovel to my back 40 ...............Wife wants me to shoot the buggers so she don't need to clean dog, but now only wants me to shoot them further away..............I can see in future needing to use broom stick before using boom stick. ......... :)

/ First spring skunk #6  
Just remember in all this juggling around with a skunk - they can carry rabies also. A single bite from a skunk WILL become an adventure you never forget.

/ First spring skunk #7  
I wasn't so lucky, our GSD found one early one morning and came back stinking with skunk juice. We have bathed him 3 times now, sprayed him with heavy duty Febreeze many times and he still has some stink when he gets wet and its been 3 weeks or so. At least now the whole house doesn't smell like skunk when he comes inside.
I had never heard of Hydrogen Peroxide used to get out skunk odor, will have to give that a try.

/ First spring skunk #8  
1 quart 3% Hydrogen Peroxide

1/4 cup Baking Soda

1 teaspoon liquid soap
(Dawn Dishwashing Detergent is often recommended, but any dish soap will work)

Rubber or latex gloves

Mix in an open container (bucket or bowl); it will be fizzy, a clue that you shouldn't try to mix it or store it in a bottle or other closed container.
Thoroughly wet your dog with warm water and then the solution while it is still bubbling. Knead it well into his coat, to chemically alter every bit of the thiols on his hair. Be careful to keep the formula out if the dog's eyes, nose and mouth; you can use a sponge to carefully wipe it onto his face. Let the solution stand for 10 minutes before rinsing. Follow the bath with a thorough rinse. Be sure to protect the eyes when rinsing the head. Chances are you will not get all of the smell off of the face and will have to live with that as it wears off. You can try Tricotine Liquid Douche Concentrate or any over-the-counter douche.
After bathing, check your dog's eyes. If they are red and watering, your dog may have taken a direct hit in the face. Skunk spray won't blind the dog, but it's very painful. Contact a vet.

/ First spring skunk #9  
Well, I've shot many a skunk out this way and never worried about the smell - it will be gone in a day or two. I just load them into the tractor bucket and take them down the driveway to a spot where I know the coyotes will eat them. Besides it isn't really strong until you can "taste" it. Its kind of like tooth paste foaming up in your mouth. The spit in your mouth really foams up. The odor is so strong it actually smells sweet. Now you know its time to make a house call on somebody you don't like really too well.:laughing::laughing::laughing:

This is true, sorry that I know that really.
After awhile you get **** near immune to it.

I have shot close to 20 between my house and the barn over the last 6 months or so. I'll chase them from a distance to get them away from the house then shoot them. IF you just get him nervous he'll get to running and get some distance, you have to corner them to get them to spray.

FYI - in a strong light at night the spray is a phosphorescent greenish / yellowish color. I have a LED maglite I hold up against the fore end of the .22 Ruger rifle to shine it so I can see it in the scope. .17 HMR works better though, but louder if you have neighbors. Head shot with a .17 they spray less often than a head shot with a .22 LR.

/ First spring skunk #10  
Yes, but a single shot with 12 ga & #2 shot covers a bigger area and up close & personal it will darn near bury them too. Dusty3030 - I've never heard of the phosphorescent effect. Actually, my days with skunks are dramatically fewer. One of my really close neighbors who lives 1.5 miles away moved back to Oklahoma. He was a burn barrel advocate and burned all his garbage. Those were the real days of the "Skunk wars". Every night when I would take the dog out to do his business - I'd take the shotgun. Sure as shoot, there would be one of those sneaky buggers lurking around my out buildings.