Snow Equipment Owning/Operating First Snow, first real picture

/ First Snow, first real picture #1  

bugstruck

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130 HST
Finally got a chance to see how the tractor does in the snow. Started kinda odd. After removing the backhoe for the first time (painless), installing the lift arms for the first time (painless), and mounting the Woods RB84 on the 3 point (painless) I backed it in the garage to mount the Woods skid shoes. That's when the real work started. Their skid shoes won't keep the cutting edge of the rear blade above the ground surface as supplied from the factory when set all the way down with all the shims in place. Didn't matter the top link setting and the blade angle. The shoes wouldn't reach the ground. i.e. $155.00 and they don't work. After some cutting, grinding, filing, painting, and substituting temporary PVC pipe spacers for some of the Woods steel shims I finally got it sorted out.

I wasn't sure about the 4wd and my driveway (without chains). Don't know why now. It's 20+ degrees in some areas and about 15 everywhere else and 400 feet. I couldn't get the R4's to slide or spin in any noticable way working today's 7 or 8 inches of snow. Good dry traction snow I know, but that was still impressive. I'm used to my little JD 325 all weighted and chained and front end sliding all over the place> Them days is gone when the snow gets a little deep /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. The little one is impressive too for what it is but it won't touch the new one. The 3130 is agile in a big/different kind of way.

The little one still works great for final cleanup. With the trip blade I can let it all the way down and still have all of my old asphalt driveway left after the snow clears. They both have their places.

Had the rear blade dropped on the Bota and went up thru a section of 26 degree dirt access road. Man that thing walks. I imagine she'd handle a foot of snow or perhaps a little more on that same section with the rear blade taking full bite. Can't imagine what it would push with a front blade and clear road for the tires /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Anyhow got some seat time and the first real use of the tractor aside from moving fire wood pallets. It's been a great day. Wood's skid shoes couldn't have possibly ruined it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 570015-Jan-22-2005-first-Kubota-sn.jpg
    570015-Jan-22-2005-first-Kubota-sn.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 873
   / First Snow, first real picture #2  
Moving snow is a ball, isn't it!

/ First Snow, first real picture #4  
If moving snow is so much fun, please bring your JD up here and go to it. (I'm not prejudice as to tractor color /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) I just went out to give the horses fresh water and it is knee deep going into the barn. They say it will snow for another eight hours. I do enjoy the seat time, but you and I have different ideas of what fun is. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ First Snow, first real picture #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If moving snow is so much fun, please bring your JD up here and go to it. (I'm not prejudice as to tractor color /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) I just went out to give the horses fresh water and it is knee deep going into the barn. They say it will snow for another eight hours. I do enjoy the seat time, but you and I have different ideas of what fun is. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )</font>

No doubt!

The deepest snow we've had (since I owned tractors) was a bit over 30". That was just a bit too much fun!

Although we only got 6" to 8" yesterday, it's blowing pretty good right now (below zero wind chills). I'm going to have to get out there at run a few more passes to get rid of the drifting snow today. With those wind chill temperatures, it won't be as much fun as yesterday!

Well, I'll redefine "fun" a bit...when there's no time constraints, and I can break whenever I want to...then pushing snow is fun.
When I'm up at 3:00 AM to clear the drive so we can get to work...not so much fun then.

But, I do enjoy pushing snow...

/ First Snow, first real picture #6  
Rozett,

Beautiful farm you have...I love the old colonial. Your farming projects sound like lots of fun and hard work too! Excellent.

/ First Snow, first real picture
I'll second that Roy.... It's fun as long as it's managable and the time is there. I guess we're lucky in this area in that we don't have the consistent big snow that some are dealing with all winter. I imagine that would get old after awhile, interfering with work and the like. It would take a stetch of really nasty weather to get me there though. If I can make the work... fun, that's a good way for me to deal with it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm a bit of an outdoor addict anyhow, even winter. Just got through cleaning up dinner. Steaks on the grille. 16 degrees and the wind is up so had to tuck the grille in the corner to keep it lit. Was outside nearly 10 hrs. yesterday and 6 or 7 hrs. today. That wind today could take something out of you though. Even an old cold tolerant Carpenter. I sit in an office 40+ hours a week now. When that's done it's over to the other side. I admit though, if I fought the weather 40 hours a week I'd probably be inside allot more.

All relative I suppose.